• Native Language:
    • Japanese
    • Home Country:
    • Japan
    • Current Location:
    • Japan

hello, guys!

Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th -9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
  • Member Info
    • Member Type:
    • English Teacher
    • Native Language:
    • British English
    • Home Country:
    • UK
    • Current Location:
    • UK

Re: hello, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by optimistic pessimist View Post
Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th-9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?
I always recommend that people avoid the use of "guys" to mixed groups unless they are your own friends and you know that it's an acceptable phrase to all of them. The generation of children born from about 2000 onwards are far more likely to be sensitive about the use of any gender-specific terminology.
Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Rover_KE is online now Moderator
  • Member Info
    • Member Type:
    • Retired English Teacher
    • Native Language:
    • English
    • Home Country:
    • England
    • Current Location:
    • England

This question is best addressed to your colleagues in the staffroom or your headteacher.

We can only guess at the level of formality expected of teachers in your school.

jutfrank is online now VIP Member
  • Member Info
    • Member Type:
    • English Teacher
    • Native Language:
    • English
    • Home Country:
    • England
    • Current Location:
    • England

I think it's fine, yes. I think it's up to the teacher to decide the level of formality in his/her classes.