Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last week, my friend asked me to teach her English because she can't communicate with English speakers at workplace. At first, I thought it wouldn't be difficult because her English is elementary. I used to teach my brother when he studied at primary school and I thought I managed to do that. However, when I started to plan the class, I didn't know where to start. Teaching without textbooks was more challenging than I thought. Therefore, I asked her to write a paragraph and discussed her mistakes. She told me that she actually took some English courses a few years ago but it didn't help. I was worried that I might teach her wrong grammar so I still suggested she should take those English courses after she has a clearer understanding of basic grammar. Teaching others is definitely harder than learning. This is an opportunity for me to review my grammar books that I rarely touched in recent years.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last week, my friend asked me to teach her English because she can't communicate with English speakers at her workplace. At first, I thought it wouldn't be difficult because her English level is elementary. I used to teach my brother when he studied at primary school and I thought I managed to do that. However, when I started to plan the [STRIKE]class[/STRIKE] lesson, I didn't know where to start. Teaching without textbooks was more challenging than I thought. Therefore, I asked her to write a paragraph and discussed her mistakes. She told me that she actually took some English courses a few years ago but it didn't help. I was worried that I might teach her wrong grammar so I still suggested she [STRIKE]should take[/STRIKE] took [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] some English courses after she [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] had a clearer understanding of basic grammar. Teaching others is definitely harder than learning. This is an opportunity for me to[STRIKE] review[/STRIKE] refer to my grammar books that I rarely touched in recent years.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I was worried that I might teach her wrong grammar so I still suggested she [STRIKE]should [/STRIKE][STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] took [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] some English courses after she [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] had a clearer understanding of basic grammar.
I have a question about the usage of "suggest". When we use "suggest", shouldn't we use a base verb in the that clause?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have a question about the usage of "suggest". When we use "suggest", shouldn't we use a base verb in the that clause?

Or do you mean "take" should be in the base form of the verb after "suggested"? Yes, you are right that "take" should be in the base form, being in the subjunctive mood.
Your "should take" is also not correct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I still suggested she should take those English courses
While purists would use take, both took and should take are common in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.