[Vocabulary] the wrong people/the bad people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you please explain the difference between "the wrong people" and "the bad people" in both AE and BrE? Are they the same in this context in both AE and BrE?

I think examples include full context needed.

1. Remove the bad people from your life.

2. Remove the wrong people from your life.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please explain the difference between "the wrong people" and "the bad people" in both AE and BrE? Are they the same in this context in both AE and BrE?

I think examples include full context needed.

1. Remove the bad people from your life.

2. Remove the wrong people from your life.
Number 1 makes more sense than 2.

I doubt there is a difference between American and British English.

Where did you find them?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't see where this question comes from. Are you asking about the difference between wrong and bad?

Please don't make up pairs of sentences like this, especially when you don't know what they mean.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I can't see where this question comes from. Are you asking about the difference between wrong and bad?

Please don't make up pairs of sentences like this, especially when you don't know what they mean.

I am asking the about the phrase "the wrong people", especially in relation to that context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am asking the about the phrase "the wrong people", especially in relation to that context.

In that case, you should have simply said:

Is "Remove the wrong people from your life" grammatically correct? Is it clear what I mean by "the wrong people"?

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is "Remove the wrong people from your life" grammatically correct? Is it clear what I mean by "the wrong people"? Do "the wrong people" and "the bad people" have the same meaning here in this context?

3. Don't mix with the wrong people.

4. Don't mix with the bad people.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Okay. I think what's happening here is that you've seen or heard the phrase the wrong people and you want to know what it meant. When something like this happens again, you should make every effort to provide for us the context in which you heard or saw the phrase in question. If it was something you saw, this shouldn't be too difficult to do.

It is quite likely that in the context you encountered, the phrase the wrong people meant 'the wrong kind of people', in the sense of 'people who are likely to have a bad influence on you in some way'. But we can't say for sure without knowing the context.

Please don't make up your own sentence pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.