Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "the" before "weather" and is "this weather" correct?

"I like don't like cold weather because I am getting lazy and sleepy. I like sunny days, fresh rain, and comfortable temperature about 22 C. This weather makes me happy and I go to walk."

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I use "the" before "weather" or is "this weather" correct?

Either one might be correct. It depends on what you're trying to express.

"I DON'T like cold weather because I am getting lazy and TIRED. I like sunny days, fresh rain, and comfortable temperatureS AROUND 22 C. This weather makes me happy, and I go FOR WALKS."
If the weather is comfortable now, say "this."

If it is not, say "that."

In your example, "the" would not make sense because you're not talking about one type of weather in particular.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I [strike]like[/strike] don't like cold weather because I am getting lazy and sleepy."

I'm not sure that's actually what you mean. That sentence means that you are getting lazy and sleepy, which causes you not to like cold weather. That doesn't really make sense. Do you mean "I don't like cold weather because it makes me lazy and sleepy"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If the weather is comfortable now, say "this."

If it is not, say "that."

In your example, "the" would not make sense because you're not talking about one type of weather in particular.

I thought if I am talking about cold weather I am talking about one type of weather in particular. Could you please explain again?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm not sure that's actually what you mean. That sentence means that you are getting lazy and sleepy, which causes you not to like cold weather. That doesn't really make sense. Do you mean "I don't like cold weather because it makes me lazy and sleepy"?

Yes, I accidentally typed "I like" but I also wanted to ask about "I am getting." Should it be "I am getting" or "I get"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I accidentally typed "I like" but I also wanted to ask about "I am getting." Should it be "I am getting" or "I get"?
"I get". It's a repeated activity that happens whenever the conditions are right. "I'm getting sleepy" means you are currently in the process of becoming sleepy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I also wanted to ask about "I am getting." Should it be "I am getting" or "I get"?

If you're talking about a regular occurrence (every year, when the weather gets cold), then use "I get". However, to use that, you can't start with "I don't like cold weather". You need something like "Every year, when the weather gets cold, I get lazy and sleepy".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought if I am talking about cold weather I am talking about one type of weather in particular. Could you please explain again?
Sorry. That was confusing, wasn't it? I'll start over.

Your sentence is "This weather makes me happy and I go to walk."

If the weather is comfortable now, say "This." If it's not, say "That."

"The" would mean weather as a whole is always comfortable. It turns all weather into one thing. That would be wrong in this context.

It would make sense in this context: "I want to live in France. I love the weather there." That way, all French weather in general is something you love.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

"The" would mean weather as a whole is always comfortable. It turns all weather into one thing. That would be wrong in this context.

It would make sense in this context: "I want to live in France. I love the weather there." That way, all French weather in general is something you love.

I see now. Thank you. Do native speakers never use "about" instead of "around" when talking about the weather?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do native speakers never use "about" instead of "around" when talking about the weather?

Are you talking about the temperature? If so, we certainly do in BrE. I would not have made the same change that Charlie Bernstein did in post #2. However, "about" and "around" have slightly different meanings.

It's about 22 degrees today > It's probably 21 to 23 degrees.
I prefer to go on holiday to places where the temperatures hovers around 25 degrees > Those places probably average 25 degrees, but some days can be 20 degrees and others can be 30 degrees.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Is it also correct to say "this kind of weather?" "I like this kind of weather" or "I like such kind of weather" or "I like such weather"? Meaning "now".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it also correct to say the following, when talking about the weather now?

1. "this kind of weather" :tick:
2. "I like this kind of weather" [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] :tick:
3. "I like such kind of weather" [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] :cross:
4. "I like such weather"? Grammatically correct but not natural in modern English. [STRIKE]Meaning "now".[/STRIKE]

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no difference in meaning, in my opinion. Generally, people know that happiness is a feeling so I see no need to add the extra word.

Status
Not open for further replies.