Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

*************************************************************************************************

After they finished lunch, Dylan started cleaning up. Penny attempted to help him, but he shooed her away. “You made lunch, Penny. I’ll clean up.”

Penny started to head towards the door then stopped. “How come there’s a bunch of dishes in the kitchen still waiting?”

Dylan replied, “I cooked, you clean. You know how it works.”

Penny said, “Nice try, but I wasn’t here, so it’s your job, Dad.”

Dylan laughed. “You are always here, honey. We have great conversations over lunch every day, just like today.”

Penny smiled and continued on her way to the house. Just before she disappeared through the door, she said, “OK, Dad. We’ll do it together.”

After cleaning up around the house, Dylan and Penny wound up in Dylan’s study, where he showed her the math and diagrams of his invention. Penny was amazed. Her father had been able to solve several scientific problems that had been eluding other scientists or had been deemed either improbable or impossible. “You know, Dad. Just your superconductor composite would make you rich beyond your dreams.”

Dylan said. “Yes, I know. But I can’t be sure how it would be used, not to forget the wormhole device as a whole. I won’t take the risk that my work might be misused.”

Penny nodded. His answer was as she expected.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It starts out that Penny did the cooking, and Dylan was cleaning up, then it switches around. Which is right?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It starts out that Penny did the cooking, and Dylan was cleaning up, then it switches around. Which is right?

They were just joking around with each other. Maybe Penny saw some unwashed dishes in the kitchen after she came there, so now she just wanted to joke about this by saying “How come there’s a bunch of dishes in the kitchen still waiting?” And Dylan joked back, “I cooked, you clean. You know how it works.” That means Penny should wash the dishes according to the rule. Then Penny replied, “Nice try, but I wasn’t here, so it’s your job, Dad.” ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They were just joking around with each other. Maybe Penny saw some unwashed dishes in the kitchen after she went in there, so now she just wanted to joke about this by saying “How come there’s a bunch of dishes in the kitchen still waiting?” And Dylan joked back, “I cooked, you clean. You know how it works.” Then Penny replied, “Nice try, but I wasn’t here, so it’s your job, Dad.” ...

That doesn't fit with the previous text. That doesn't even agree with itself.. (Of course there are unwashed dishes. He's just getting started.)

Status
Not open for further replies.