• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts

Please correct my text.

This is part of teaching statement letter with the headline of Practicing Theories and staying updated

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them small homeworks. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I teach ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective to learn.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 19-Apr-2021 at 11:51. Reason: Added the request to the post and changed the title.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I ask students to use theories’ main concepts

Quote Originally Posted by shania117 View Post
    Please correct my text.

This is part of teaching statement letter with the headline of Practicing Theories and staying updated

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them light homework. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I taught ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable and educational.
    It's unclear to me what kind of theories you are talking about.
    Not a professional teacher

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Please correct my text.

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them small homeworks. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I teach ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective to learn.
    I don't like the idea of using the apostrophe 's" with abstract things, though I understand the rule about it being used for objects has been relaxed.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

You switch between theories' and theory's.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Please correct my text.

This is part of a teaching statement letter with the title "Practicing Theory and Staying Up-to-date."

I ask students to use theory's main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by giving them small homework assignments. For example, last semester in the ....theory class, when I teach ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective for learning.
    What are the elipses (...) for? What kind of theory class is it?

It's not clear whether you mean theory or a theory.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

shania117 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Dear Charlies,
    Thanks for your correction. The class was sociopsychology theories where I teach several theories. What I meant to explain was how I teach theory effectively in general.

jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

As the members have pointed out above, there is a problem with the phrase I ask students to use theories' main concepts.

Does your reader have any idea about what kind of theories, or which ones, you're talking about? Have you already explained this in previous context? If so, you could say: the/these theories' main concepts.

If not, then spell it out: the main concepts of (various) theories in sociopsychology.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Charlies,
    Thanks for your correction. The class is sociopsychology theories where I teach several theories. What I meant to explain is how I teach theory effectively in general.
    It's just Charlie. (That's awfully formal.) (I didn't get a special thanks. Now my feelings are hurt. )

The teaching is effective if the students learn what you teach them. Otherwise, it isn't.
    Not a professional teacher

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    As the members have pointed out above, there is a problem with the phrase I ask students to use theories' main concepts.

Does your reader have any idea about what kind of theories, or which ones, you're talking about? Have you already explained this in previous context? If so, you could say: the/these theories' main concepts.

If not, then spell it out: the main concepts of (various) theories in sociopsychology.
    Good advice! That will make it a lot clearer.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

shania117 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Dear Charlie,
    I truly appreciate your comments and feedback, and I valued every single comment I received.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last