Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can English change suddenly. For example. Suddenly English might change suddenly One day so that the words might start meaning opposite of what they mean today. So left might start meaning what right means today. Please help me with this.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What makes you ask this bizarre question, psrivas1?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Suddenly is too strong a word, but languages sometimes change rapidly. A good example in English is provided by the word gender. When I was a lad gender was a property of words only. It was never applied to people. When it was first applied to people I felt it was merely a euphemism used by those who were uncomfortable with the word sex. But it rapidly evolved into the meaning it has today.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please help me with this.

NOT A TEACHER

1. Yes, you are right. Sometimes a word changes its meaning. But it is not sudden. It might take a long time.

2. If someone tells you that you are very nice, you would consider that a compliment. But hundreds of years ago, the word "nice" meant something like "stupid."

a. When you have time, please google these words click here for an article that will explain the change: The Not-So-Nice Origins Nov. 25, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Change can be rapid- check out the great vowel shift. Also, technology has created thousands and thousands of new words. I graduated from university without using a computer - I played on one for an hour . This is an unimaginable world to people who have grown up with IT as a part of their life, and hard for me to actually remember. Words can become auto-antonyms- bad can mean good. Twenty years ago, people were arguing that email should be uncountable like mail, I don't hear anyone arguing that I sent ten emails is wrong today. Language changes and adapts because we change and adapt and need to communicate. English can, like any living language, change suddenly.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Living out of the English-speaking world for twenty-three years now, I am very aware of this. Despite a healthy diet of English newspapers, radio, films, TV and books, daily participation in this forum, regular chats with family and friends, and an average of at least a month a year on the UK (until Covid), I have become increasingly aware of how out of touch I am with the natural, normal spoken English of today. I steer clear of questions here about the acceptability of some words and phrases lest* my response might seem hopelessly out of date.

* I wonder how many native speakers use that word naturally these days.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Personally I am very fond of lest but I think AmE tends to strongly prefer constructions using unless.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will not beat Lest we forget.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
True. It's the sort of thing we chisel into granite.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can English change suddenly? For example, [STRIKE]Suddenly[/STRIKE] English might change [STRIKE]suddenly[/STRIKE] someday so that the words might start meaning the opposite of what they mean today. So left might start meaning what right means today. Please help me with this.
Welcome, Psrivas!

As you can see from the answers above, it depends on what you mean by "suddenly."

Yes, words can sometimes flip meanings. For instance, read this article about "amusing, awful, and artificial": Saint Paul's Cathedral

But more often, words simply shift a little bit over decades. Words whose meanings have changed slightly since I was a kid include awesome, loan, they, and home.

But you asked for help. Exactly what do you need help with?

psrivas1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for your reply. With help I meant to know if someday words might start meaning the opposite of what they mean today. From your reply it looks like that it will not happen anytime. Can you please confirm on this.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your reply. [STRIKE]With help[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]meant[/STRIKE] want to know if, someday, words might start meaning the opposite of what they mean today. From your reply, it looks like [strike]that[/strike] it will not happen. [STRIKE]anytime.[/STRIKE] Can you please confirm [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] this?

I think it's highly unlikely that that will happen. Does it happen (or has it happened) in your native language?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was strange and interesting to see how our last US president sometimes used words to mean their opposites. It seemed as though he was doing it on purpose.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It was strange and interesting to see how our last US president sometimes used words to mean their opposites. It seemed as though he was doing it on purpose.

Strange and interesting? I guess so. Watching a train wreck in slow-mo would be strange and interesting too. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes, it was just that one last guy who abused the language. All politicians before him were straight and above board in their use of language. It's not like they ever questioned what the meaning of "is" is.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for your reply. With help I meant to know if someday words might start meaning the opposite of what they mean today. From your reply it looks like that it will not happen anytime. Can you please confirm on this.

Some do. We have autoantonyms, They're not particularly common as things would get confusing if we had a lot.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're also antogonyms, which I rather like. It sounds more like Mortal Combat- which cleave will be left standing?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Among words which have changed in meaning or acquired an additional meaning (though not opposite meanings) during my lifetime, the most notable has to be 'gay'.

Among more recent examples, there's 'tweet', 'woke', and 'smart' (applied to phones, TVs and motorways) and 'husband' and 'wife' are now applied to people of any gender.

It's hard to keep up sometimes.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The meaning of gender too has changed during our lifetimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.