Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
[h=2]Providing constructive feedback and preparing student for self/peer assessment and monitor students learning[/h]Evaluation of student's learning process in online classes is tricky. To make this process more effective, I prepare a checklist to grade students' achievements and activities under certain criteria (e.g., student’s participation, group discussion, class activities, individual and group presentation, peer-assessment, self-evaluation, study group activities). For each group, I ask one student to monitor classmates' activities (e.g., helping other students with their group activities, sharing new thoughts and collaboration, participate in the discussion) based on the evaluation forms I provided. I found self/peer assessment rather effective on their learning process. For example, to write a quantitative research objective in the research method class, I provide them a right-wrong checklist and ask them to comment on their own or other classmate assignments. I believe that studding within a group, peer review, and monitoring system increased students' engagements in more positive ways in an online session, enabling them to use feedback to develop and learn rather than only reacting mechanically to the instructions.
I always strive to create a positive environment in which learning is challenging, dynamic, relevant to real-life situations, and enjoyable. I don't teach subjects; rather, I teach them how to enjoy learning. I always find a style of lecturing that suits my personality while remaining true to myself. I never want to intimidate students with my experience or fool them into thinking I know anything. I am never aloof and unhelpful, and I never put students down, nor do anything to discourage questions.
Occasionally, I ask students to lead the class via group presentations. I prepare an evaluation form and ask them to evaluate each other’s presentations. Assessment practice will help them to effectively improve their presentation. In an online session, I assign students to be the host during group presentations; then, she/he has a chance to assign another student to be the host of the class for the other group presentation under my supervision. This improves their confidence and leadership. I encourage them to make their arguments and discuss their points of view. I listen to students’ ideas and experiences related to the material. I let them start a conversation on the subjects and issues that are important to them. I give them time to develop on their own rather than just explaining things to them. I believe that teaching is not just explaining a subject, it should provide opportunities to improve the students' skills and give them a fresh and creative outlook.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Providing constructive feedback and preparing students for self/peer assessment and monitoring student learning

Evaluation of student [STRIKE]'s[/STRIKE] learning [STRIKE]process[/STRIKE] in online classes is tricky. To make this process more effective, I have prepared a checklist to grade students' achievements and activities under certain criteria (e.g., student participation, group discussion, class activities, individual and group presentation, peer-assessment, self-evaluation, study group activities). For each group, I ask one student to monitor their classmates' activities (e.g., helping other students with their group activities, sharing new thoughts, and [STRIKE]collaboration,[/STRIKE] participating in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] discussions) based on the evaluation forms I provided. I found self/peer assessment [STRIKE]rather effective on their[/STRIKE] useful in the learning process. For example, to write a quantitative research objective in the research method class, I provide [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] a right-wrong checklist and ask [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] students to comment on their own or [STRIKE]other[/STRIKE] their classmates' assignments. I believe that [STRIKE]studding within[/STRIKE] studying in a group, peer review, and cross-monitoring [STRIKE]system increased[/STRIKE] can promote student engagement in more positive ways in an online session, enabling them to use feedback to develop and learn rather than only reacting mechanically to the instructions.

I always strive to create a positive environment in which learning is challenging, dynamic, relevant to real-life situations, and enjoyable. I don't teach subjects; rather, I teach [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] students how to enjoy learning. I always find a style of lecturing that suits my personality while remaining true to myself. I never want to intimidate students with my experience or [STRIKE]fool[/STRIKE] give them [STRIKE]into thinking[/STRIKE] the impression that I know [STRIKE]anything.[/STRIKE] everything. I am never aloof and unhelpful, and I never put students down, nor do anything to discourage questions.

Occasionally, I ask students to lead the class via group presentations. I prepare an evaluation form and ask them to evaluate each other’s presentations. Assessment practice will help them to effectively improve their presentations. In an online session, I assign students to be the host during group presentations; then, she/he has a chance to assign another student to be the host of the class for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] other group presentations under my supervision. This improves their confidence and leadership. I encourage them to [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] put forward their arguments and discuss their points of view. I listen to students’ ideas and experiences related to the material. I let them start a conversation on the subjects and issues that are important to them. I give them time to develop on their own rather than just explaining things to them. I believe that teaching is not just explaining a subject. It should provide opportunities to improve the students' skills and give them a fresh and creative outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.