Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

I have an enquiry about the usage of this saying 'Why keep/have/get a dog and bark yourself'.

I know that this saying usually involves someone who wants to get a job done and decides to do it themselves after hiring a person to do it.
I want to know if this saying can be used in a situation where no money is involved or no one is getting paid to do something.
How about the following situation?

A starving husband is waiting for his wife to come home to cook him dinner. He doesn't know her whereabout or what time she'll be back. A friend comes over, learns about the situation and suggests that he prepare his own dinner. He then responds 'Why keep/have/get a dog and bark yourself'.

It might not be the best example but I hope you get the gist of my post.
Is the usage of the saying appropriate in this case?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No money needs to be involved.

When I was a young man my father took me with him when he consulted a lawyer. It was the first time I had met a lawyer professionally. I had some doubts about the advice we received, and while driving home I asked my dad if we should accept the lawyer's advice. He replied "You don't buy a dog and then do your own barking."

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
No money needs to be involved.

When I was a young man my father took me with him when he consulted a lawyer. It was the first time I had met a lawyer professionally. I had some doubts about the advice we received, and while driving home I asked my dad if we should accept the lawyer's advice. He replied "You don't buy a dog and then do your own barking."

Thank you for the reply.

In your post, you mentioned 'consulted a lawyer'. Did he or she get paid for giving advice at that time?

After careful deliberation, this expression is to be used with caution depending on the situation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I have a question about the use of this saying: "Why keep/have/get a dog and bark, yourself?"

I know that this saying usually involves someone who wants to get a job done and decides to do it themselves after hiring a person to do it.

I want to know if this saying can be used in a situation where no money is involved or no one is getting paid to do something.

Yes.

How about the following situation?:

A starving husband is waiting for his wife to come home to cook him dinner. He doesn't know her whereabout or what time she'll be back. A friend comes over, learns about the situation, and suggests that he prepare his own dinner. He [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] responds: "Why keep/have/get a dog and bark, yourself?"

It might not be the best example but I hope you get the gist of my post.

Is the usage of the saying appropriate in this case?

It is, but in this case, it sounds like he's the dog.
And a sexist one, at that!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It does not have to involve money.

Status