[Grammar] Sequence of Tenses. I knew I have to play in a different condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayon Khan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I knew that in the future I have to play in a tough and different condition. I haven't played in that condition yet. Now if I say to someone today that -

1. I knew I have to play in a different condition. That's why I practiced harder.
or
2. I thought I will play in a tough condition. That's why I practiced in mud.

then are my sentences grammatically correct???

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Sequence of Tense

I knew that in the future I would have to be in better condition. I haven't played in that condition yet. Now if I say to someone today that -

1. I knew I would have to be in better condition. That's why I practiced harder.
or
2. I thought I would need to be in better condition. That's why I practiced in mud.

then are my sentences grammatically correct?

Maybe. The words knew and thought are past tense, but you're having the conversation today. If you're looking back, then knew and thought are correct. If you mean that you now know you need to be in better shape, you need to rephrase.
The phrase tough condition is not natural. If you want to get stronger, we usually describe it as getting in better condition or better shape.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Are you talking about the physical condition of your body or external conditions, such as the weather or even harder competition?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Sequence of Tenses. I knew I have to play in a different condition.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Ayon Khan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

I was talking about external conditions like weather condition. Assume that I am from Asia and staying in Europe to play a match. The weather condition in Europe is totally different. I knew the condition would be different. That's why I practiced harder to play in that condition. Right now I am staying in Europe. If I talk with someone today, what should I say?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I was talking about external conditions like weather. [STRIKE]condition.[/STRIKE] Assume that I am from Asia and [STRIKE]staying[/STRIKE] I'm in Europe to play a match. The weather conditions in Europe [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are totally different from what I'm used to. I knew the conditions would be different. That's why I practiced harder, in order to play in [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] those conditions. Right now, I am [STRIKE]staying[/STRIKE] in Europe. If I talk with someone today, what should I say?

Thanks for explaining that. Please note my corrections above.

I would suggest something like "I knew the conditions here would be very different and I've practised harder to try and deal with them".

It really depends on what the difference is, and what you were actually able to do in Asia to replicate conditions in Europe.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I was talking about external conditions like weather condition. Assume that I am from Asia and staying in Europe to play a match. The weather condition in Europe is totally different. I knew the condition would be different. That's why I practiced harder to play in that condition. Right now I am staying in Europe. If I talk with someone today, what should I say?

Use the tenses Charlie Bernstein suggested in the first answer to your post:

I knew conditions in Europe would be different so I trained hard to be ready for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.