[General] When letter "t" and "s" are together....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is a monologue. I was checking my student's homework. He reads English to me every day and I check his pronunciation.

When he read the sentence "How many students do you tutor right now?", he mispronounced the word "students". He pronounced the "ts" sound as "s". And then I said to him:

When letter "t" and "s" together, they're pronounced like "ts" not "s".

Is my sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a monologue. I was checking my student's homework. He reads English to me every day and I check his pronunciation.

When he read the sentence "How many students do you tutor right now?", he mispronounced the word "students". He pronounced the "ts" sound as "s". And then I said to him:

When the letters "t" and "s" are [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE] next to each other in a word, they're pronounced like "ts" not "s".

Is my sentence natural?

See above.

Is it a particular problem with the word "students" or does he omit the "t" every time a word ends (or contains) "ts"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hope you're not trying to get your student to pronounce a plosive aspirated /t/ in students. There is no plosion or aspiration in that /t/. Indeed, the final sounds of students are exactly the same as those of prudence.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Making the T stand out in nts is awkward and not necessary.

More important is not making it sound like studenz.

It will be interesting to see other opinions.

PS: Why is this a monologue?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It was a monologue because I was commenting on his pronunciation. He made a tape (like the one I sent to you) and sent it to me.

I wasn't telling him to pronounce a plosive aspirated t. Nor have I asked him to pronounce students as studenz.

I asked him to pronounce the word like this.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was a monologue because I was commenting on his pronunciation. He made a tape (like the one I sent to you) and sent it to me.

Thanks. I get it now. It was confusing because you didn't tell us what the pronoun This referred to. What you gave us looked like a dialogue.

I wasn't telling him to pronounce a plosive aspirated t. Nor have I asked him to pronounce students as studenz.

Excellent!

I asked him to pronounce the word like this.
All of them say styoodents. In the US, most people say stoodents.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Using terms like "monologue" and "dialogue" in threads like this isn't really helping. You're not writing a play and, most of the time, it's clear from your post if you've been having a conversation with someone.
This thread should have just started "One of my students sent me a recording of him speaking English and I noticed that he fails to pronounce the "t" at the end of "students"."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Using terms like "monologue" and "dialogue" in threads like this isn't really helping.

It isn't necessary in this case, no. Silver has mentioned this information because I asked him to make the context of the sentences he asks about as clear as possible. My request was that when the target sentence is uttered as a direct response to what somebody has said immediately prior, we need to know what that immediately prior sentence is. I asked Silver to write a mini-dialogue in such cases. Mentioning in this thread that the context is a 'monologue' is Silver's way of explaining why he hasn't written a mini-dialogue.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It isn't necessary in this case, no. Silver has mentioned this information because I asked him to make the context of the sentences he asks about as clear as possible. My request was that when the target sentence is uttered as a direct response to what somebody has said immediately prior, we need to know what that immediately prior sentence is. I asked Silver to write a mini-dialogue in such cases. Mentioning in this thread that the context is a 'monologue' is Silver's way of explaining why he hasn't written a mini-dialogue.
Aha. I get it now.

Calling that dialogue a monologue didn't really help. It was just perplexing. We can recognize monologues and dialogues without being told.

Last edited:

jadeJ

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When three consonants are together in a cluster like 'studeNTS' then it is natural to drop/omit the middle consonant. This means for many people, this words does sound like 'studens'. However, in careful speech the the /t/ will be there. We just don't notice it much before the plosive sound (puff of air) is hidden by the /s/.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When three consonants are together in a cluster like 'studeNTS' then it is natural to drop/omit the middle consonant. This means for many people, this words does sound like 'studens'.
I don't agree. The /t/ is there in both student and students for most speakers. In both cases it is a stopped /t/ (unless the singular form is followed by a vowel or the /t/ is exploded for emphasis). As it is stopped, few people except trained phoneticians are aware that it's there. If it were not there, the voiced /n/ sound of the singular form would almost certainly be longer, and the final /s/ of the plural would tend to be voiced, approaching /z/. Neither the English Pronouncing Dictionary (16th edition) nor the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (3rd edition) marks the /t/ as optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.