Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Rachel Adams is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,321

    The pronunciation of "have"

    Is "have" pronounced as /əv/ not as /hæv/ when it is not used as an auxiliary verb?

    These examples are from "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan.

    1. "Where have you been?" /əv/

    2. "You might have told me." /əv/

    3. "What did you have for breakfast?" /hæv/

  2. #2
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    21,992

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Yes, except when the speaker is emphasizing the word: Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you!
    I am not a teacher.

  3. #3
    tzfujimino's Avatar
    tzfujimino is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,321

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    Is "have" pronounced as /əv/ not as /hæv/ when it is not used as an auxiliary verb?

    These examples are from "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan.

    1. "Where have (=auxiliary verb) you been?" /əv/

    2. "You might (=modal (auxiliary) verb) have (=auxiliary verb) told (=lexical/main verb) me." /əv/

    3. "What did you have (=lexical/main verb) for breakfast?" /hæv/
    .

  4. #4
    Yankee is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Yes, except when the speaker is emphasizing the word: Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you!

    But in actual pronunciation, at least in AmE, you would most probably hear/say, "werve you been" and "you mightof told me".

  5. #5
    Rachel Adams is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,321

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    But in actual pronunciation, at least in AmE, you would most probably hear/say, "werve you been" and "you mightof told me".
    I sometimes hear an "r" in "no matter". In this song for example. Perhaps it's just my non-native ears.
    https://youtu.be/7eul_Vt6SZY

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    21,992

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    I sometimes hear an "r" in "no matter". In this song for example. Perhaps it's just my non-native ears.
    https://youtu.be/7eul_Vt6SZY
    Most Americans have a rhotic accent and thus pronounce the R in "matter".
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,450

    Re: The pronunciation of "have"

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Most Americans have a rhotic accent and thus pronounce the R in "matter".
    It's true throughout most of the country. But the New York metropolitan region, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, and other parts of the northeast, lots of local accents drop that R.

    A lot of southern accents drop it, too, as in "What we have heah is failyuh to communicate":

    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •