Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Later that afternoon, Joe left the hotel for a walk. The late fall air was crisp and a tender breeze hummed through the treetops as he walked towards the the Hungerford Bridge. He strolled along the ledge of the bridge, stopping to take in the view, leaning forward against the railings. The low sun sparkled off ribbons of Thames, tinting a strip of clouds with an orange glimmer. Joe felt as though the fall in the outside world merged with the bleak autumn in his soul. The London Eye was an orange silhouette against the sky, towering over Big Ben. Joe turned his head and saw an elongated shadow getting closer to him. A tall man with a gray trench coat walked towards him, drew a pistol out and aimed at Joe. Joe's heart dropped in his stomach, and he gulped nervously. The tall man smiled and ran away without shooting.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

Later that afternoon, Joe left the hotel for a walk. The late fall air was crisp and a [STRIKE]tender[/STRIKE] light breeze hummed through the treetops as he walked towards [STRIKE]the the[/STRIKE] Hungerford Bridge. He strolled along the [STRIKE]ledge[/STRIKE] side of the bridge, stopping to take in the view, leaning [STRIKE]forward[/STRIKE] against the railings. The low sun sparkled off the ribbons of The Thames, tinting a strip of clouds with an orange [STRIKE]glimmer[/STRIKE] glow. Joe felt as though the fall in the outside world had merged/was merging with the [STRIKE]bleak autumn[/STRIKE] one in his soul. The London Eye was an orange silhouette against the sky, towering over Big Ben. Joe turned his head and saw [STRIKE]an elongated[/STRIKE] a long shadow [STRIKE]getting closer to[/STRIKE] coming towards/approaching him. A tall man [strike]with[/strike] in/wearing a gray trench coat walked towards him, drew a pistol [STRIKE]out[/STRIKE] [from his pocket] and aimed it at Joe. Joe's heart dropped [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to his stomach, and he gulped nervously. The tall man smiled and ran away without shooting.

See above. Don't mix "fall" and "autumn". I can't remember if you're concentrating on BrE or AmE, but if it's BrE, use "autumn" and "grey"; if it's AmE, use "fall" and "gray".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above. Don't mix "fall" and "autumn". I can't remember if you're concentrating on BrE or AmE, but if it's BrE, use "autumn" and "grey"; if it's AmE, use "fall" and "gray".

Great editing as always.

One thing: why can't I say "elongated shadow"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, autumn is okay in the US. It's true that we probably use fall more, but autumn wouldn't sound strange there.

There's nothing wrong with elongated, but it doesn't really add to the story. Be parsimonious with multisyllabic locutions.

PS — I see a compound sentence that wants a comma.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually, autumn is okay in the US. It's true that we probably use fall more, but autumn wouldn't sound strange there.

I still think it sounds strange to use both in one piece but, more particularly, both in one sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.