English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi everyone,

I have been teaching online classes to a young learners.There are nearly 20 students in every online lesson.Generally, first 10 minutes go very well.However, after that students are getting bored.Sometimes, it is difficult to motivate students again.I try to motivate them with interesting activities, but it doesn't work all the time.I need your suggestions for this.What can be done to keep students in a lesson ?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What are you doing to motivate them?

hasanburakcanekici

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What are you doing to motivate them?
They like listening to music.That's why when I realize that they are bored, I play a song that they like.Also, sometimes we play a word game.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone.

I have been teaching online classes [STRIKE]with a[/STRIKE] to young learners. space after a full stop There are nearly 20 students in every online lesson. space after a full stop Generally, the first 10 minutes [STRIKE]are going[/STRIKE] go very well. space after a full stop However, after that, the students [STRIKE]are getting[/STRIKE] start to get bored. space after a full stop Sometimes, it is difficult to motivate the students again. space after a full stop I try to motivate them with interesting activities, but it doesn't work all the time. space after a full stop I need your suggestions [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to help me with this. space after a full stop What can be done to keep students interested in a lesson?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. You seem to struggle with spacing around punctuation. Here are the basic rules:
- Put a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

You also need to work on your use of articles. You omitted three obligatory definite articles and you incorrectly included one indefinite article.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They like listening to music. space after a full stop That's why, when I realize that they are bored, I play a song [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that they like. space after a full stop Also, sometimes we play a word game.

emsr2d2

Yasmin_06020520029

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
In my opinion, if interesting activities are not working, usually when children are bored, there is a lack of challenging learning activities for them. So, after they take a break, they should be given interesting and light learning videos such as watching a singing video and then playing guessing games with each student in the chat box or directly. Can also do such as connecting words and so on. This is intended to provoke children's motivation, so that their focus returns again because of such challenging learning activities.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi everyone,

I have been teaching online classes to a young learners.There are nearly 20 students in every online lesson.Generally, first 10 minutes go very well.However, after that students are getting bored.Sometimes, it is difficult to motivate students again.I try to motivate them with interesting activities, but it doesn't work all the time.I need your suggestions for this.What can be done to keep students in a lesson ?
In my opinion, in teaching students, especially young learners, learning media is very important. so that we can make the classroom atmosphere and its activities more interesting and students are able to implement or imagine with the help of real media. and making games at the beginning of learning can attract students' enthusiasm and motivation. for the media used can be electronic according to student development and interesting manuals

Anggi Wulansari

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
In my opinion, what can be done to keep students in a lesson are the teacher can keep interacting with the students. In conveying the materials, the teacher may use interactive teaching media to get the students’ attention and enthusiasm for learning. Some teaching media that can be accessed online are Kahoot, Wordwall, Quizlet, and so on. In addition, let the teacher to does not give a lot of materials that make students overwhelmed, it is better to give them a short and clear explanation about the materials to help them get a better understanding and always focus and keep in a lesson. Last, if the students feel bored or do not focus on the lesson, the teacher can use an online classroom icebreaker to bring the students comfortable with both the online class and the lesson.

Fathimah El Fithri

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
In my opinion, providing various models of activities while learning (combining teaching methods) is very helpful. The examples I give are when teaching using the ALM method, giving one or two activities that apply to the child's body (TPR), and young students like it when they are actively moving, so Provide activities such as patting when you say a word or raising your hand when you say another word. Keeping students active by giving games or singing during each activity shift is also very helpful.

IFLAKHA

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi everyone,

Hello, I will give you some suggestion to teach young learners through online so they don't get bored in your class. In my think, first way is you must make sure whether students really feel bored or just feelings that are in you, because sometimes the feelings that are in us affect the atmosphere in the online class. As teachers, of course, we will determine the attitudes we will bring to class, as well as the feelings you feel as a teacher, if you enjoy it then everything will run smoothly. Therefore, the first step is to identify the situation you are facing. Next, the second way is to combine teaching methods in online classes. There are several methods that we can do in class such as ALM (Audio Language Method), CLT (communicative language teaching) , PPP (Presentation Practice Produce , ESA (Engage Study Activity) , and etc. You can combine several methods into one, for example at the next meeting. You can use the PPP and CLT methods, then use ESA with ALM, you can combine these things into your teaching system to make it more varied. Next, the third way is to use various kinds of practice questions through online media. In today's era, it must be very easy to access online media such as Quizziz , kahoot, and etc. This can increase students' competitive spirit. If you still find it difficult to carry out some of my suggestions, try reading the following books to gain more insight into teaching for young learners:
1. Caroline T. Linse. Editor David Nunan. Practical English language teaching: young learners.
2. Tatiana. Gordon. Series Editors Doris Pronin Fromberg and Leslie R. Williams. Teaching Young Children a Second Language.

There are lots of teaching techniques in the book that you can use when you have difficulty teaching.
Thank you, hope it's useful for you

AdistyasihB

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi everyone,

Hello, as we know, the characteristic of young learners are they get bored quickly. Young learners become bored easily if the activities are not interesting and engaging enough. This is a result of their short attention span. Usually, after ten minutes, they might lose interest in the current activity, especially if it is being taught straight and lacks any play components. Young learners are also interested in interactive and attractive teaching media. You may be able to provide learning media in the form of images, videos, or realia not only by textbook. I think it can increase their motivation for learning. That's all my advice. Hope it can help you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not convinced the OP is still visiting this thread, having posted it over a year ago. For now, I'm locking the thread.

Learners, please note - the last six posts, allegedly from six different users all based in Indonesia, five of whom claim to be English teachers, and all of whom joined within six days of each other, are full of errors and should not be used as examples of good grammatically correct English.

Status
Not open for further replies.