[Grammar] Do the two paragraphs serve the meaning clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benkyearn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi, Thanks for letting me sign up and for your welling to help. It's not a TOEFUL exam or anything like this. I just would like to know if I deliver the meaning correctly.

First Paragraph:

At first, I thought that taking two pills together is a high dose because I wasn’t used to taking paracetamol. So, I took only 1 bill that is 500mg of paracetamol before the injection. Four or five hours after the injection, the ache would become so bad that I had to take a second pill.

Intended meaning:

One pill --> Injection --> 4 or 5 hours --> another pill.

Second Paragraph:
I found out that I needed to take two pills which is the same dose that my doctor prescribed. But taking the two pills together before the injection is much more comfortable than taking one pill before the injection and the other pill a few hours after the injection. If there are (there is a time difference of) 4 or 5 hours between the two pills, it won't minimize the pain. You just need to take the two pills together 1 hour before the injection. I don’t know the medical explanation for this because I’m not a doctor.

Intended meaning:

One pill --> Injection --> 4 or 5 hours --> another pill (bad)

2 pills --> 1 hour --> Injection (Good)

Should I remove or keep the term between the brackets? Should I use this instead (Taking the second pill a few hours apart from the first bill wouldn't minimize the pain)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi! Thanks for letting me sign up and for your willingness to help. It's not a TOEFL exam or anything like that. I just would like to know if I explained things correctly.

First Paragraph:

At first, I thought that taking two pills together would be too high a dose because I wasn’t used to taking paracetamol. So, I took only one pill that is 500mg of paracetamol before the injection. Four or five hours after the injection, the ache would become so bad that I had to take a second pill.

Intended meaning:

One pill --> Injection --> 4 or 5 hours --> another pill.

Second Paragraph:
I found out that I needed to take two pills which is the same dose that my doctor prescribed. But taking the two pills together before the injection is much more comfortable than taking one pill before the injection and the other pill a few hours after the injection. If there are (there is a time difference of) 4 or 5 hours between the two pills, it won't minimize the pain. You just need to take the two pills together one hour before the injection. I don’t know the medical explanation for this, because I’m not a doctor.

Intended meaning:

One pill --> Injection --> 4 or 5 hours --> another pill (bad)

2 pills --> 1 hour --> Injection (Good)

Should I remove or keep the term between the brackets? Should I use this instead (Taking the second pill a few hours apart from the first bill wouldn't minimize the pain)?

There's nothing wrong with your comments. It's clear that that taking two pills before the injection is better than taking one before and one after.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I took only one pill that is 500mg of paracetamol" is unnatural and unnecessarily wordy. I'd use "I took just one 500-mg paracetamol tablet/capsule/caplet".

benkyearn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
@Tahreel
@emsr2d2
Thank you so much for your precious replies. I really appreciate it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]@[/STRIKE]

Tarheel and [STRIKE]@[/STRIKE] emsr2d2, thank you so much for your [STRIKE]precious[/STRIKE] useful replies. I really appreciate it.

Note my corrections above. There's no need to use the @ symbol before usernames - this isn't Twitter! "Precious" doesn't really fit with "replies". Note that, in future, there is no need to write a new post to say "Thanks" to anyone. You have already clicked the "Thank" button on both responses - that's enough. Using the "Like" and "Thank" buttons saves time for everyone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Tahreel
@emsr2d2
Thank you so much for your precious replies. I really appreciate it.

I appreciate knowing that my comments are precious, but please follow our precious moderator's advice from now on.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.