Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

John kept driving on the main highway until he turned to a side road flanked by a narrow water canal on the right and a neck-high concrete wall on the left. Heat waves rippled and shimmered on the battered asphalt. In a futile attempt to escape the sun beams shining into his eyes, he put down the visor but the rays of the merciless July sun bounced off the water, creeping inside his car from all directions. He felt he was inside a furnace. If only I could have a car with a decent air conditioner. He fished out a piece of tissue from inside the glove compartment and wiped sweat off his forehead. The world outside the car appeared as if I was melting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

John kept driving on the main highway until he turned onto a side road flanked by a narrow water canal on the right and a neck-high concrete wall on the left. Heat waves rippled and shimmered on the battered asphalt. In a futile attempt to escape the sun beams shining into his eyes, he put down the visor, but the rays of the merciless July sun bounced off the water, creeping inside his car from all directions. He felt as if he was inside a furnace. If only I could have a car with a decent air conditioner. He fished out a piece of tissue from inside the glove compartment and wiped sweat off his forehead. The world outside the car appeared as if it was melting.

You don't need (and probably shouldn't have) water before canal.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If only I could have a car with a decent air conditioner.
That sounds as if he is wishing for a car and a separate air conditioner. I would say "If only I had a car with decent air conditioning".

He fished out a piece of tissue from inside the glove compartment and wiped the sweat off his forehead.
That's more natural.

The world outside the car appeared as if I was melting.
That's not very natural. Try something like "It was sweltering outside".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about turned off into a side road?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That sounds as if he is wishing for a car and a separate air conditioner. I would say "If only I had a car with decent air conditioning".

The original sentence is something an American would naturally say.

That's more natural.

I would make that change too.

That's not very natural. Try something like "It was sweltering outside".

Your suggestion is good but not creative.

:)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "as if he were inside a furnace" and "as if he were melting." Don't use was for impossibilities. When in doubt, think of the phrase "if I were you."

Status
Not open for further replies.