Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use the expression "for good reason" in this way in my sentence?

"Many people associate Georgia with mountains and for good reason, because it's the mountains that are the hallmark of Georgia. For example, Mount Kazbek is the most famous and favourite mountain for me and many tourists. It is rich in beautiful landscapes regardless of the time of year. It's top is often hidden by clouds."

I again provided the rest of the context to show how I was going to use my sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Many people associate Georgia with mountains and for good reason, because it's the mountains that are the hallmark of Georgia.
It would be OK if you stopped after 'reason'. As it is, your sentence says Many people associate Georgia with mountains because it's famous for its mountains.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Many people associate Georgia with mountains and for good reason, because it's the mountains that are the hallmark of Georgia. /QUOTE]
It would be OK if you stopped after 'reason'. As it is, your sentence says Many people associate Georgia with mountains because it's famous for its mountains.

"Because it's the mountains that are the hallmark of Georgia" is repetition, isn't it?
Is the rest of the text correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Because it's the mountains that are the hallmark of Georgia" is repetitious, isn't it?

Yes, a bit.

Is the rest of the text correct?

See post #5.

:)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use the expression "for good reason" in this way in my sentence?

"Many people associate Georgia with mountains and for good reason. For example, Mount Kazbek is the most famous and favourite mountain for me and for many tourists. It is rich in beautiful landscapes regardless of the time of year. Its top is often hidden by clouds."

Try that!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Try that!

Thank you. So native speakers of English don't use "with" instead of "by" in such contexts. "The walls are covered by clouds" not "with clouds" and "the walls are covered by snow" not "with snow." Do I understand correctly?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So native speakers of English don't use "with" instead of "by" in such contexts. "The walls are covered by clouds" not "with clouds" and "the walls are covered by snow" not "with snow." Do I understand correctly?
No. Sentence one doesn't make sense. "With snow" is more likely in sentence two, but "by" is also possible.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. Sentence one doesn't make sense. "With snow" is more likely in sentence two, but "by" is also possible.

Oh, I typed "clouds" instead of "snow". Sorry. In this sentence "the top of the mountain is covered by clouds" or "with clouds" the use of the preposition is the same, isn't it? Both are correct.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this sentence, "the top of the mountain is covered by clouds" or "with clouds", the use of the preposition is the same, isn't it?
I don't understand the question. I wouldn't use "covered"; I'd say its hidden by clouds.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't understand the question. I wouldn't use "covered"; I'd say its hidden by clouds.

I didn't know that "is covered by clouds" is wrong. Or is it your personal preference?

In a similar context would it be wrong to use "covered" when talking about "the fog"?
For example, "the church on the top of the hill was covered by/with fog?" or is it better to say "the church on the top of the hill is hidden by/with fog"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know that "is covered by clouds" is wrong. Or is it your personal preference?

In a similar context would it be wrong to use "covered" when talking about "the fog"?
For example, "the church on the top of the hill was covered by/with fog?" or is it better to say "the church on the top of the hill is hidden by/with fog"?
"Covered" is better for cases where a more substantial material physically obscures something. For example: The driveway was covered with fallen leaves. Fog and clouds are insubstantial; they can hide something, but we don't usually think of them as covering it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Covered" is better for cases where a more substantial material physically obscures something. For example: The driveway was covered with fallen leaves. Fog and clouds are insubstantial; they can hide something, but we don't usually think of them as covering it.

I see now. Thank you. In your example "covered with fallen leaves", "covered by" would also work as it works in "covered "with/by snow". Right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see now. Thank you. In your example "covered with fallen leaves", "covered by" would also work as it works in "covered "with/by snow". Right?
"With" works better. You could, however, say it was "covered by a blanket of fallen leaves." "By" goes well with a definable item; "with" is suitable for a more diffuse, less well defined substance. I'm kind of shooting in the dark with that last bit (look up the idiom if it's not familiar to you). Jutfrank may have more to say about it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"with" is suitable for a more diffuse, less well defined substance. .
But it doesn't work with "fog" in the way I used it in my sentence "covered by/with fog". It should be "hidden by". Or perhaps it's possible to use less defined substance such as "fog" with "with" in another sentence without using "covered by"?:shock:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say something is shrouded by fog.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.