Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[...]
"Los Angeles" alone is never used to refer to the county, which is always called "Los Angeles County" or "LA County".

I just got back from there on Saturday. :) As it happens, I was staying in a house in Los Angeles whose mailing address, along with the others in the neighborhood, is in the city of Santa Monica.

a. As it happens
b. As it happened

Are both OK here? I looked it up at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/happen#happen_idmg_2

If that's true, why is (a) correct? Wasn't it in the past?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a present comment about something in the past.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
a. As it happens
b. As it happened

So (a) is a present comment about something in the past, while (b) is also correct but means something a little different, which is "it happened by chance that", as in "As it happened (= it happened by chance that), I was staying in a house in Los Angeles whose mailing address".

Do I understand correctly?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So (a) is a present comment about something in the past, while (b) is also correct but means something a little different, which is "it happened by chance that", as in "As it happened (= it happened by chance that), I was staying in a house in Los Angeles whose mailing address".

Do I understand correctly?
I guess so. "As it happens" is an idiom, though. It means "something that is true by chance". Only the present simple works in my sentence.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Only the present simple works in my sentence.
I don't understand this part. For me, both work but mean things in a different way:

a. As it happens: a present comment about something in the past.

b. As it happened: it happened by chance that.

You say, "Only the present simple works in my sentence" - is this because what you intended to emphasize is more about "
a present comment about something in the past", rather than "it happened by chance that"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The present simple is required because I'm remarking about the situation in the present. If I were narrating a past remark, I'd use the past simple: I was strolling near the beach when I saw the TV star Ted Danson. As it happened, I'd just watched one of his shows the night before.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The present simple is required because I'm remarking about the situation in the present. If I were narrating a past remark, I'd use the past simple: I was strolling near the beach when I saw the TV star Ted Danson. As it happened, I'd just watched one of his shows the night before.

That's understandable but the simple fact is that native speakers invariably use "As it happens" regardless of when the thing being discussed occurred (or will occur).

As it happens, I was there the night he was killed.
As it happens, I'm doing my homework right now.
As it happens, I'll be at the same conference as you in New York next month.

It is simply a different way of saying "Coincidentally".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's understandable but the simple fact is that native speakers invariably use "As it happens" regardless of when the thing being discussed occurred (or will occur).
I'd say "usually". There are times when the past simple is also suitable, as in my post about the TV star.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think kadioguy should think of as it happens as a fixed phrase, used as a discourse marker.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/as-it-happens
It's worth noting that the Collins example uses the past simple. As in my little dialog, this tells us that the surprise happened at the time of the action, which was in the past, rather than the time of the narration, which is in the present.

Here's the example:
She called Amy to see if she had any idea of her son's whereabouts. As it happened, Amy did.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Neanderthals, as it happens, painted cave art.

Status
Not open for further replies.