Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,338

    The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    What is the difference between "the other places", "some other places", and "other places"?

    "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice in Italy. It's also beautiful there. "Other places" are The Nasca lines in Peru, Thor's well in The USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

    How would the meaning of my sentence change if I use either "the other places" or "some other places" instead of "other places" in my third sentence?

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,830

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    "There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world, I can't name the best. One of the most famous places is Venice, in Italy, which is beautiful. It's also beautiful there. "Other places" Some others are The Nazca Lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."
    I've improved your sentences above. Wording it this way probably removes the relevance of your question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. #3
    Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,338

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I've improved your sentences above. Wording it this way probably removes the relevance of your question.
    Thank you. But what is the difference between "the other places", "some other places", and "other places"?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,830

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    You'll have to come up with a better example sentence in which to make the swaps. Don't come up with a context. Just give us one sentence in which you believe you can use "the other places", "some other places" and simply "other places".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #5
    Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,338

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You'll have to come up with a better example sentence in which to make the swaps. Don't come up with a context. Just give us one sentence in which you believe you can use "the other places", "some other places" and simply "other places".
    "One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England. Other places/the other places/some other places are The Nasca lines in Peru, Thor's well in The USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

    I changed the original a little.

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,830

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    "One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England. Other places/the other places/some other places are The Nazca Lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

    I changed the original a little.
    You can't say "One of the most beautiful places in the world" and then follow it with three cities.

    As for the rest, "Some other places" or just "Some others" are best, but "Other places/Others" are possible. If you said "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world.

    Please make sure you take note of corrections that are made in responses. I made corrections to spelling and capitalisation in the final sentence in post #2 but you repeated the errors in post #5.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 08-May-2021 at 20:51.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. #7
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,036

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England.
    How many places have you listed? Hint: more than one.

    [Cross-posted]
    I am not a teacher.

  8. #8
    Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,338

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You can't say "One of the most beautiful places in the world" and then follow it with three cities.

    As for the rest, "Some other places" or just "Some others" are best, but "Other places/Others" are possible. If you said "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world.

    Please make sure you take note of corrections that are made in responses. I made corrections to spelling and capitalisation in the final sentence in post #2 but you repeated the errors in post #5.
    Does "the other" have this meaning only in the context I was talking about? I mean does "the other guys" mean that the other guys are not like him?
    It's a song by "Killers".
    "He's always trouble with his non-complacent
    Shotgun eyes, shotgun eyes
    His subtlety, his mystery
    Not like the other guys
    She's always taken by his reputation
    He's so bad, he's so bad
    On Saturday night they're running for the shadow".

  9. #9
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,830

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    Does "the other" have this meaning only in the context I was talking about? I mean does "the other guys" mean that the other guys are not like him in the following lyrics? It's They're from a song by "The Killers".

    "He's always trouble with his non-complacent
    Shotgun eyes, shotgun eyes
    His subtlety, his mystery
    Not like the other guys
    She's always taken by his reputation
    He's so bad, he's so bad
    On Saturday night they're running for the shadow".
    Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English, in those lines I would take "the other guys" to mean "all other guys".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  10. #10
    Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3,338

    Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English, in those lines I would take "the other guys" to mean "all other guys".
    That's interesting. Here the meaning is different. If I don't misunderstand of course. "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •