Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What is the difference between "the other places", "some other places", and "other places"?

"There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world I can't name the best. One of the famous places is Venice in Italy. It's also beautiful there. "Other places" are The Nasca lines in Peru, Thor's well in The USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

How would the meaning of my sentence change if I use either "the other places" or "some other places" instead of "other places" in my third sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: The other places", "some other places", and "other places"

"There are so many unusual and beautiful places in the world, I can't name the best. One of the most famous [STRIKE]places[/STRIKE] is Venice, in Italy, which is beautiful. [STRIKE]It's also beautiful there.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]"Other places"[/STRIKE] Some others are The Nazca Lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

I've improved your sentences above. Wording it this way probably removes the relevance of your question.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

I've improved your sentences above. Wording it this way probably removes the relevance of your question.

Thank you. But what is the difference between "the other places", "some other places", and "other places"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You'll have to come up with a better example sentence in which to make the swaps. Don't come up with a context. Just give us one sentence in which you believe you can use "the other places", "some other places" and simply "other places".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

You'll have to come up with a better example sentence in which to make the swaps. Don't come up with a context. Just give us one sentence in which you believe you can use "the other places", "some other places" and simply "other places".

"One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England. Other places/the other places/some other places are The Nasca lines in Peru, Thor's well in The USA, Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

I changed the original a little.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England. Other places/the other places/some other places are The Nazca Lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

I changed the original a little.

You can't say "One of the most beautiful places in the world" and then follow it with three cities.

As for the rest, "Some other places" or just "Some others" are best, but "Other places/Others" are possible. If you said "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world.

Please make sure you take note of corrections that are made in responses. I made corrections to spelling and capitalisation in the final sentence in post #2 but you repeated the errors in post #5.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England.
How many places have you listed? Hint: more than one.

[Cross-posted]

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

You can't say "One of the most beautiful places in the world" and then follow it with three cities.

As for the rest, "Some other places" or just "Some others" are best, but "Other places/Others" are possible. If you said "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world.

Please make sure you take note of corrections that are made in responses. I made corrections to spelling and capitalisation in the final sentence in post #2 but you repeated the errors in post #5.

Does "the other" have this meaning only in the context I was talking about? I mean does "the other guys" mean that the other guys are not like him?
It's a song by "Killers".
"He's always trouble with his non-complacent
Shotgun eyes, shotgun eyes
His subtlety, his mystery
Not like the other guys
She's always taken by his reputation
He's so bad, he's so bad
On Saturday night they're running for the shadow".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Does "the other" have this meaning only in the context I was talking about? I mean does "the other guys" mean that the other guys are not like him in the following lyrics? [STRIKE]It's[/STRIKE] They're from a song by "The Killers".

"He's always trouble with his non-complacent
Shotgun eyes, shotgun eyes
His subtlety, his mystery
Not like the other guys
She's always taken by his reputation
He's so bad, he's so bad
On Saturday night they're running for the shadow".

Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English, in those lines I would take "the other guys" to mean "all other guys".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English, in those lines I would take "the other guys" to mean "all other guys".

That's interesting. Here the meaning is different. If I don't misunderstand of course. "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That's interesting. Here the meaning is different. If I don't misunderstand of course. "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world."

No, it can't mean that. In fact, since you haven't posted a full sentence it's impossible to tell what you want to say.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

No, it can't mean that. In fact, since you haven't posted a full sentence it's impossible to tell what you want to say.

It's from post #6 about my original question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Then please rewrite the relevant sentences so that we can consider them in context. We shouldn't have to scroll back to previous posts to work out what the question is.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Then please rewrite the relevant sentences so that we can consider them in context. We shouldn't have to scroll back to previous posts to work out what the question is.
Sorry!
My original sentences: "One of the most beautiful places in the world is Venice in Italy, Paris in France and London in England. Other places/the other places/some other places are The Nazca Lines in Peru, Thor's Well in the USA, and Lake Hillier in Western Australia."

Your explanation of "the other" is mentioned here:

A: As for the rest, "Some other places" or just "Some others" are best, but "Other places/Others" are possible. If you said "The other places/The others", it would mean that there are absolutely no other beautiful places in the world.

Your explanation about the use of "the other" in the song.

B: Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English, in those lines I would take "the other guys" to mean "all other guys".

If I understand correctly "the other" in A and B ( I used the letters not to confuse them with each other) don't mean the same. Am I right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Notwithstanding the fact that we always discourage learners from using song lyrics to help them learn English

Not all of us! I certainly don't. Just saying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.