Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello
I was reading the following paragraph and when I reached the end of it, I began to ask myself which "feeling" the author is talking about?
Is there anyone who can help me understand it?

But it was more than the individual features of the uniforms that felt fitting—it was the place and the people they represented. For a long time the Baudelaires had felt as if their lives were a damaged Frisbee, tossed from person to person and from place to place without ever really being appreciated or fitting in. But as they zipped up their uniforms and smoothed out the portraits of Herman Melville, the children felt as if the Frisbee of their lives just might be repaired. In wearing the uniform of the Queequeg, the siblings felt a part of something—not a family, exactly, but a gathering of people who had all volunteered for the same mission. To think that their skills in inventing, research, and cooking would be appreciated was something they had not thought in a long time, and as they stood in the supply room and regarded one another, this feeling fit them like a glove.

"The Grim Grotto,"Novel by Daniel Handler
[h=2][/h]

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The whole paragraph is describing this feeling. I'll highlights some parts to focus on:

But it was more than the individual features of the uniforms that felt fitting—it was the place and the people they represented. For a long time the Baudelaires had felt as if their lives were a damaged Frisbee, tossed from person to person and from place to place without ever really being appreciated or fitting in. But as they zipped up their uniforms and smoothed out the portraits of Herman Melville, the children felt as if the Frisbee of their lives just might be repaired. In wearing the uniform of the Queequeg, the siblings felt a part of something—not a family, exactly, but a gathering of people who had all volunteered for the same mission. To think that their skills in inventing, research, and cooking would be appreciated was something they had not thought in a long time, and as they stood in the supply room and regarded one another, this feeling fit them like a glove.

albert210

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
oh, I guessed so but I was not sure. Thank you very much. That was a great help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, I guessed so but I was not sure. Thank you very much. That was a great help.

Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I began to ask myself which "feeling" the author is talking about. [STRIKE]? [/STRIKE]

… the siblings felt a part of something ….
I disagree with jutfrank here. To me, it's clear that "this feeling" is the feeling of being a part of something.

The sentence I quoted above is declarative, not interrogative. It has to end with a period ("full stop" in British English). You could reduce it to "I began to ask myself something."

Status
Not open for further replies.