Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This comes from a YouTube video about the early universe and the history of everything.

At 1:23, the narrator says, "Our model of the universe is based on big bang cosmology, the idea that the universe started at some point in time and has expanded ever since."

At 2:21, he says, "The universe began as infinite heat, and has cooled ever since."
There are a few more instances of what I'd like to ask about in the video, but I believe these two should suffice.

I'd personally go with the present perfect continuous and say has been expanding and has been cooling respectively, as these are undergoing processes that are still in progress (the expansion of the universe is happening right now, and the mean temperature is dropping to inevitably get us to the heat death of the universe).

I trust SEA (the channel) in term of being factual, and the narrator sounds like a native speaker to me (but it may be because I don't know any better), so this is just a language question. I'm wondering why he has used the present perfect non-continuous here. In my understanding, an ongoing process calls for the continuous aspect. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're not missing anything. Yes, it can be your present continuous. It can also be the narrator's past tense.

The words "ever since" make clear that it's a continuing process, so (to me) the present contiuous isn't wrong but isn't needed.

Now let's see what the educators here think.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd personally go with the present perfect continuous and say has been expanding and has been cooling respectively, as these are undergoing processes that are still in progress

Agreed. You should be an English teacher. :cool:

I'm wondering why he has used the present perfect non-continuous here. In my understanding, an ongoing process calls for the continuous aspect. What am I missing?

It beats me. I think all we can say is that in his mind he wasn't thinking about the continuous and ongoing nature of the expansion. It seems like he's kind of 'fixed' on the present moment, and is focusing only on a time frame that is completed at the moment of utterance. I think it's impossible to say anything more without seeing inside his mind. I can imagine that it could possibly be that he has some kind of graph or diagram or something that is influencing his way of thinking about things.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're not missing anything. Yes, it can be your [STRIKE]present continuous[/STRIKE] present perfect continuous. It can also be the narrator's [STRIKE]past[/STRIKE] present perfect simple tense.

:)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think all we can say is that in his mind he wasn't thinking about the continuous and ongoing nature of the expansion. It seems like he's kind of 'fixed' on the present moment, and is focusing only on a time frame that is completed at the moment of utterance.

So it's more like an answer to "How have we gotten here?"

"The universe started as a divide-by-zero error, with infinite heat and no volume, and it has expanded and cooled, getting us where we are."

Given the nature of the narrative in the video, it makes sense for the speaker to have used that wording. I can live with that.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm not a scientist, but is there such a thing as infinite heat?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not a scientist, but is there such a thing as infinite heat?
Nobody knows. There are a few models and concepts that try to find the opposite of absolute zero, but the problem is that physics as we know it breaks at some point, and our theories become pure speculation.

I believe the author wasn't being technical when calling it infinite heat; he was just trying to give the viewer something imaginative. If the universe started as a singularity with no volume, we might as well say it was infinite heat.

That's why they teach you not to divide by zero in school, kids. Know your limits!

Heh.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So it's more like an answer to "How have we gotten here?"

Yes, I think so. Like I said, we can't know what he was really thinking on an unconscious level.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nobody knows. There are a few models and concepts that try to find the opposite of absolute zero, but the problem is that physics as we know it breaks down at some point, and our theories become pure speculation.

I believe the author wasn't being technical when calling it infinite heat; he was just trying to give the viewer something imaginative. If the universe started as a singularity with no volume, we might as well say it was infinite heat.

That's why they teach you not to divide by zero in school, kids. Know your limits!

Heh.

When Andromeda and Milky Way merge it will be a superbig galaxy. None of us will be around to see that happen though.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When Andromeda and Milky Way merge it will be a superbig galaxy. None of us will be around to see that happen though.

We have, however, already come up with a rather unimaginative name for what's going to emerge from the merger - Milkdromeda.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We have, however, already come up with a rather unimaginative name for what's going to emerge from the merger - Milkdromeda.

Yes, that is unimaginative. Let's call it Godzilla.
:-D

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd rather it be Glizdzilla. I'd finally have something named after me, with the added benefit of being unpronounceable for anglophones. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd rather it be Glizdzilla. I'd finally have something named after me, with the added benefit of being unpronounceable for anglophones. ;-)

It's perfectly pronounceable. :-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Nobody knows. There are a few models and concepts that try to find the opposite of absolute zero, but the problem is that physics as we know it breaks at some point, and our theories become pure speculation.

There are no models that I know of that suggest there isn't a rock bottom absolute zero. I have seen nothing for the higher end temperatures.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There are no models that I know of that suggest there isn't a rock bottom absolute zero. I have seen nothing for the higher end temperatures.
Absolute hot is one theoretical limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.