Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
I got a new job in an Austrian company, my job title in English is "Application Engineer". However, I am not sure this title matches the job. I mainly know it from the software / machine engineering side. The job is that I will work together with our customers and explain them how our company's products can be used in the applications of the customer. I will show the benefits of our products to our customers, and I will sometimes adapt one of our products to better fit the requirements of the customer. So as a summary, my main focus will be to help the customer using our products, and if that's not possible, modify our product / develop a new product that fits better into the product of the customer.

Is "application engineer" the right title for this job? Could a native speaker please shine his/her light?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds like application engineering to me. The good thing is you have a new job.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't see what part of the job involves any 'engineering', apart from perhaps when you adapt products.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I got a new job in an Austrian company.

M
y job title in English is "Application Engineer".

However, I am not sure this title matches the job.

I mainly know it from the software/machine engineering side. What does the underlined "it" refer to?

The job [STRIKE]is that I will[/STRIKE] entails working [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE] with our customers and explaining to them how our company's products can be used in the applications of the customer. I don't understand the underlined part.

I will [STRIKE]show[/STRIKE] demonstrate the benefits of our products to our customers no comma here and, sometimes, I will [STRIKE]sometimes[/STRIKE] adapt one of our products to better fit the requirements of the customer.

[STRIKE]So as a summary[/STRIKE] To summarise, my main focus will be [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] helping the customer [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] [to] use our products no comma here and, if that's not possible, modifying our product or developing a new product that fits better into the product of the customer. I don't understand the underlined part.

Is "application engineer" the right title for this job?

Could a native speaker please shine [STRIKE]his/her[/STRIKE] a light on this?

Note my corrections above. I put each sentence on its own line solely to make it easier to read.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't see what part of the job involves any 'engineering', apart from perhaps when you adapt products.
I have a good friend who did this kind of engineering for much of his career. He met with customers, helped them understand and analyze their application, and recommended or, more commonly, designed a product to suit it if his company could make one. He did extremely advanced engineering involving dynamic fluid analysis. Nevertheless, others with similar roles but delving less deeply into customers' problems could also be described as application engineers.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having worked in a similar role, I think the title is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.