• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that pro

We use "Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that probably was done or we are less sure about?. For example we say "I would have won the race, had I been a bit faster".

Can we also use it like this "I don't know why the money was deducted however, I beleive it would have been the annual deduction for the credit card maintainance".

Please help.

Charlie Bernstein is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    We use "would have done" to show regret.

Sometimes. It depends. "Should have" is more likely: "I should have listened to your advice."

H
    owever, can we also use it to say something that probably was done . . .

No. That would be "might have" or "could have."

. . . or we are less sure about? For example, we say, "I would have won the race, had I been a bit faster".

That doesn't sound unsure. You're saying you definitely would have won if you had been faster.

Can we also use it like this?: "I don't know why the money was deducted. However, I believe it would have been the annual deduction for the credit card maintenance".

I'll accept that, but "might" or "could" would be better.

Please help.
    You knew we would!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 13-May-2021 at 23:38. Reason: making a further correction in the quote
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.