Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that pro

We use "Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that probably was done or we are less sure about?. For example we say "I would have won the race, had I been a bit faster".

Can we also use it like this "I don't know why the money was deducted however, I beleive it would have been the annual deduction for the credit card maintainance".

Please help.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Would have done" to show regret however, can we also use it to say something that

We use "would have[STRIKE] done[/STRIKE]" to show regret.

Sometimes. It depends. "Should have" is more likely: "I should have listened to your advice."

H
owever, can we also use it to say something that probably was done . . .

No. That would be "might have" or "could have."

. . . or we are less sure about? For example, we say, "I would have won the race, had I been a bit faster".

That doesn't sound unsure. You're saying you definitely would have won if you had been faster.

Can we also use it like this?: "I don't know why the money was deducted. However, I believe it would have been the annual deduction for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] credit card maintenance".

I'll accept that, but "might" or "could" would be better.

Please help.
You knew we would!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.