• Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

Shop names, Shops' names, Shops names

Hello Teachers,

I have been told previously that when 2 or more nouns combine together, the former noun(s) become adjectives. And then someone told me about noun phrases too, where 2 or more nouns can be combined. I got confused and here I am. I want to talk about 20 shops and list their names. For example, the following are the shop names of blah blah blah and list out all the names.

In that case, which form would be correct ?
    1. Shop names (shop as adjective and names as plural noun)
    2. Shops' names (since multiple shops and multiple names, both noun should be plural, on my second thought, this seems like a good choice)
    3. Shops names (just taking out the possessive and make it like a compound noun, I'm not even sure if this make senses or not)

Thank you all teachers.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Shop names, Shops' names, Shops names

Quote Originally Posted by harrylynn View Post
    Hello, teachers,

I have been told previously that when two or more nouns are combined, the former noun(s) become adjectives. And then someone told me about noun phrases, too, where two or more nouns can be combined. I got confused, so here I am. I want to talk about twenty shops and list their names. For example, the following are the shop names of blah blah blah and list out all the names. . . .

If I understand the question, there are lots of ways to say it:

- These are the shops' names: . . . .

- These are the shops: . . . .

- The names of the shops are . . . .

- The shop names are . . . .

- The shops' names are . . . .

- The shops are . . . .

Then just list them. Separate them with commas. Put and before the last one.
    Hello, Harry!

I don't know whether that answered your question. If you give us complete sentences to look at, that will make it easier to comment. Thanks!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 14-May-2021 at 05:07.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

harrylynn is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Hello, Harry!

I don't know whether that answered your question. If you give us complete sentences to look at, that will make it easier to comment. Thanks!
    Thanks a lot for even correcting my message. My question was confusing. All I want to know is, is it alright to write Shops' names, Shop names, Shop's names. It seems like you have already answered my question. So that means all 3 forms are correct ?

1. Shops' names (correct - if we want to talk about chain stores of some store such as walmart, ikea, 7/11 etc.)
    i.e. The shops' names are Walmart 1, Walmart 2, Ikea 1, Ikea2, Seven Eleven 1, and Seven Eleven 2 etc.

2. Shop names (correct - if we want to talk about multiple stores..)
    i.e. The shop names are Walmart, Ikea, 7/11 etc.

3. Shop's names (correct - if we want to talk about a particular store has multiple names..)
    i.e. The shop's names are Walmart Rainbow, Walmart Colorful, Walmart Discount etc.

Did I get it right ? Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by harrylynn View Post
    Thanks a lot for even correcting my message. My question was confusing. All I want to know is, is it alright to write Shops' names, Shop names, Shop's names. It seems like you have already answered my question. So that means all three forms are correct[no space]?

None is right all the time. Shop's names doesn't make sense because most shops have just one name.

1. Shops' names (That's correct if we want to talk about chain stores of some store such as walmart, ikea, 7/11, etc.)
    e.g. The shops' names are Walmart 1, Walmart 2, Ikea 1, Ikea2, Seven Eleven 1, and Seven Eleven 2, etc.

You've used "The shops' names" correctly.

I've never heard of a Walmart, Ikea, or Seven Eleven with a number after it. We might say "the seven Maine Walmarts, the three New York Ikeas, and the Central Avenue Seven Eleven.

2. Shop names (That's correct if we want to talk about multiple stores.)
    e.g.: The shop names are Walmart, Ikea, 7/11, etc.

You've used "The shop names" correctly.

3. Shop's names (That's correct if we want to talk about a particular store that has multiple names.)

A particular store only has one name.

e.g.: The shop's names are Walmart Rainbow, Walmart Colorful, Walmart Discount etc.

No. There are more than one shop, so you need to pluralize it: "The shops' names are . . . ."

Again, I've never heard of a Walmart Rainbow or either of the others.

Did I get it right[no space]? Thanks a lot for your guidance.
    You're welcome!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 15-May-2021 at 19:49.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.