Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[FONT=&quot]Is there any expectation that we (specifically first year auxes) should be reasonably prepared to actually teach English when the school year begins? I know we’re technically “assistants”, but I don’t want to go into the classroom completely clueless and be more of a burden on the teacher than anything else. And if so, are there any resources that can train us in any form?[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what your job title means. Does "auxes" mean "auxiliary teachers"? Haven't you been given a job description? That should tell you exactly what you're expected to do. What were you told to expect while you were being trained? I suggest you talk to the teacher you'll be assisting and ask them exactly what they expect of you.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there any expectation that we (specifically first year auxes) should be reasonably prepared to actually teach English when the school year begins? I know we’re technically “assistants”, but I don’t want to go into the classroom completely clueless and be more of a burden on the teacher than anything else. And if so, are there any resources that can train us in any form?

I'm not sure I fully understand your post either. But, know that your zeal to be prepared for anything is commendable. If I were you, I would google teaching materials. See on YOUTUBE how others are doing it. Well and I would always have a lesson plan if I were you. At first you'll just need a template. These days you can already download it online and fill it in however you like. I can tell you from experience that it is impossible to prepare for everything. I apologize for going into an old thread, but I hope the message is getting through to you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I started teaching in the 1980s- things are very different nowadays.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One thing that has always been true, and will forever continue to be true, is 1) have a backup plan and 2) have a mental stockpile of time fillers/killers that require no materials or other preparation which you can roll out at a moment's notice.

You just never know when you'll have to modify or completely abandon what you initially intended to teach. Once, I even had to make #1 consist solely of #2.

It was beyond my control, and not an experience I hope to repeat in the next few lifetimes. Icebreakers aren't meant to last for 60 minutes. In fact, the ice has melted to the point you're struggling not to drown at that point.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One thing that has always been true, and will forever continue to be true, is 1) have a backup plan and 2) have a mental stockpile of time fillers/killers that require no materials or other preparation which you can roll out at a moment's notice.

You just never know when you'll have to modify or completely abandon what you initially intended to teach. Once, I even had to make #1 consist solely of #2.

It was beyond my control, and not an experience I hope to repeat in the next few lifetimes. Icebreakers aren't meant to last for 60 minutes. In fact, the ice has melted to the point you're struggling not to drown at that point.
When I first started teaching a few years ago, I was always prepared for the possibility of being fired. In the beginning, it is very important not to be afraid and to go ahead. You make a good point, but I think it's important, as I mentioned above, to have a lesson plan. I thought of using a lesson plan template google docs. I recommend it to everyone!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have a book that answers their, and your, questions about language. I would recommend Michael Swan's Practical English Usage, which goes beyond grammar into patterns- it has stood me in good stead for many years, through many editions. Be prepared to improvise- experience will make this easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.