Can we call the speaker as a native speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth4vahid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We told you in this thread, where you posted the exact same clip (only slightly slowed down), that most of us thought the speaker was a Russian (or other Slavic language) speaker. Why would you re-post the same person, and ask us if we think he's a native speaker?!

The clips sound very much like the guy from the Youtube Channel RussiaPlus. He's a fluent English speaker, despite a fairly strong Russian accent.

That wasn't the same voice but both sayings have the same words. Anyway, thanks for your useful answers that guided me a lot. As you mentioned I can't distinguish my pronunciation difference but I'm working on it. I hope I can post another voice in a few weeks and you tell me that's a native speaker's voice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can we call this speaker as a native speaker?

He's not a native speaker, but he is readily comprehensible. Focusing on how easy it is for people to understand you is a good idea. Few achieve perfection. I have met non-native learners who were note perfect, but more writers than speakers.

Truth4vahid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yeah. That's the point. Appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Make sure you do as much research as you can before you ask here. Usually, videos or voice recordings have the name of the speaker attached. Google the name and try to find their biography. That will tell you whether they're a native speaker or not.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
He's not a native speaker, but he is readily comprehensible. Focusing on how easy it is for people to understand you is a good idea. Few achieve perfection. I have met non-native learners who were note perfect, but more writers than speakers.

Some people come very close. About ten years ago we had a contributor here who claimed to be a native speaker. I suspected he wasn't but couldn't put my finger on why. He went on answering questions for months but eventually made a blunder that gave the game away.

More recently there was the unlamented Robadob. His spoken English was good enough that he might have fooled me into believing he was a native speaker. But such cases are very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.