What's the difference between time's up and time's over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth4vahid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the difference between time's up and time's over?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But in the US, they use both of them. Why is that?
Do you have a source for that? I'm American and have never heard or seen Time's over.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But in the US, they use both of them. Why is that?

I don't think they use both in the USA or anywhere. In my 74 years I have lived in Canada, the USA, India and England, and I've never seen or heard "Time's over."

Last edited:

Truth4vahid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you all guys. I found out, time's up it means time of something has finished. But time is over, it means it's too late to do something. Am I right?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nope. Time is over means nothing, as we said above. Slow down and think harder. You'll learn more that way.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all. [STRIKE]guys.[/STRIKE]

I found out no comma here that "time's up" [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] means that the time of something has finished, but "time is over" no comma here [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] means it's too late to do something. Am I right?

Note my corrections above.

Please don't refer to us as "guys". We're not all male. As shown in post #2, you need to mark out the phrases you're talking about in some way. The most common way to do this is to enclose them in quotation marks.

Truth4vahid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Please don't refer to us as "guys". We're not all male. As shown in post #2, you need to mark out the phrases you're talking about in some way. The most common way to do this is to enclose them in quotation marks.

Thanks for your correction. I'm learning some notable points. You keep me on the track in this way.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe this is a regional US thing, but I was shocked to hear some claim 'time's over' is meaningless. I was about to reply that they can be synonymous. I have definitely seen and used both versions in the context of a timed activity.

I strongly disagree that "time's over" is meaningless or unnatural.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What's your region Skrej?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Please don't refer to us as "guys". We're not all male.

As I've remarked in the past, in current AmE parlance "guys" are both male and female, especially among younger speakers. When I say younger, I am thinking of my daughters, both in their early 40s.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I've remarked in the past, in current AmE parlance "guys" are both male and female, especially among younger speakers. When I say younger, I am thinking of my daughters, both in their early 40s.

I'm aware of that, and I have been known to address a group of my female friends as "guys". I just don't think it's a good idea to encourage learners to use it here. I think it should be used within a group of people who are very familiar with each other and that isn't the case on this forum.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maybe this is a regional US thing, but I was shocked to hear some claim 'time's over' is meaningless. I was about to reply that they can be synonymous. I have definitely seen and used both versions in the context of a timed activity.

It must be an odd regional thing, then. I guess that to most of us, as to me, it sounds badly wrong. An event (the activity itself, or a lesson) can be 'over', which can include a periodic event (such as a week, or lunchtime, or Christmas) but not 'time' in the sense of a duration.

The following contrast shows what I see as the difference between up and over.

1) When two weeks are up, give me a call. :tick:
2) When two weeks are over, give me a call. :cross:

1 is correct because two weeks is meant as a duration.

3) When your two weeks are over, give me a call. :tick:

3 is also fine, since your two weeks is not meant as a duration, but as a periodic event. This same distinction applies to the use of during (i.e., during two weeks :cross:, but during your two weeks :tick:).

This could mean, of course, that anyone uttering Time's over may simply be conceiving that Time refers to the timed period rather than to the duration, but I don't think that's how most people would conceive of it, which is why I guess some members here would consider it meaningless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.