Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I checked my tomatoes to see if they were fine, and I found two of them had ripened! Some were yellow and turning to red, while others remained green. I took some photos of them and showed them to my friends, and I said, "I'm a junior farmer now! Haha!" In the past I successfully grew some plants, such as watermelons, cucumbers and pumpkins. My friends saw them and asked me if I'd like to be a farmer. I said I didn't have money to buy a piece of land. Then, one of my friends said she was also interested in farming and suggested renting a piece of land together. I rejected because I bet she would quit very quickly.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I checked my tomatoes to see if they were healthy/doing well/in good shape, and I found two of them had ripened! Some were yellow and turning [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] red, while others remained green. I took some photos of them and showed them to my friends, and I said, "I'm a junior farmer now! Haha!" In the past I successfully grew some plants, such as watermelons, cucumbers and pumpkins. My friends saw them and asked me if I'd like to be a farmer. I said I didn't have money to buy a piece of land. Then, one of my friends said she was also interested in farming and suggested renting a piece of land together. I rejected the idea because I bet she would quit very quickly.
It's good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say "I successfully grew some fruits and vegetables, such as ...", not "I successfully grew some plants".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about to see how they were coming on/doing?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about to see how they were coming on/doing?
In the U.S., we wouldn't say "coming on." That means flirting. We would say "coming along."

And "doing" is also good.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Along works in BrE too.

Status