Academic
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I am writing several sequential results and that was the best I thought. Please, it sounds clear? Is the position of the word "respectively" in the last sentence correct?

Thanks

Compared to AL18, CR18 rats had ~10% lower fasting glucose, ~15% lower OGTT, ~28% lower IpTT, ~21% lower resting metabolic rate, ~13% lower blood pressure, ~16% lower heart rate, ~62% lower triglycerides, ~76% lower cholesterol, ~66% lower VLDL-cholesterol, ~38% and ~46% lower atherogenic and cardiovascular risk indexes, respectively. AL18 and CR18 groups showed similar HDL and LDL-cholesterol levels. CR18 group also presented an anti-inflammatory profile compared to the AL18 group. Compared to AL18, CR18 rats had ~18% and ~40% lower IL-6 and TNF-α serum levels, respectively, and 17% higher IL-10 levels. Moreover, the IL-6/IL10 and TNF-α ratios were respectively ~24% and ~31% lower in CR18 rats than in AL18 rats.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I am writing several sequential results, and this is the best I can do. Is it clear? Is the position of the word "respectively" in the last sentence correct?

Yes, you placed using "respectively" correctly, but it wanted some commas.

Thanks.

Compared to AL18, CR18 rats had ~10% lower fasting glucose, ~15% lower OGTT, ~28% lower IpTT, ~21% lower resting metabolic rate, ~13% lower blood pressure, ~16% lower heart rate, ~62% lower triglycerides, ~76% lower cholesterol, ~66% lower VLDL-cholesterol, ~38% and ~46% lower atherogenic and cardiovascular risk indexes, respectively. AL18 and CR18 groups showed similar HDL and LDL-cholesterol levels. CR18 group also presented an anti-inflammatory profile compared to the AL18 group. Compared to AL18, CR18 rats had ~18% and ~40% lower IL-6 and TNF-α serum levels, respectively, and 17% higher IL-10 levels. Moreover, the IL-6/IL10 and TNF-α ratios were, respectively, ~24% and ~31% lower in CR18 rats than in AL18 rats.
I'm assuming that the ~ symbol means something.

marcofabri

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi Charlie,

I used the ~ symbol instead of writing approximately. Do you think it is not correct?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Charlie,

I used the ~ symbol instead of writing approximately. Do you think it is not correct?
It depends on who your readers are. If they know what it means, it's fine. If you're writing for the general public (people like me, for example), it might help to to spell it out.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is definitely not for the general public. It's a write-up of research data.

Which section of your paper is this supposed to be in, Marco?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
For a scientific report, I think figures are best presented in table form rather than a paragraph, for easy reading and comparison.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For a scientific report, I think figures are best presented in table form rather than a paragraph, for easy reading and comparison.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, but there may be some justification for attempting to relate the figures in prose form. It depends to some extent on the level and type of discourse (i.e., basically, how this passage is related to the wider text).

marcofabri

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi jutfrank,

This text is from the results session of my manuscript.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is there a case for using a semicolon as a separator?

Status
Not open for further replies.