1. abclearner

"shifting sentiments in

Could anybody help me with English? I really need help. a million thanks.
    What does "shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas" mean? And why is that "if you don't acknowledge the shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas", "you can't preach about free arkets"? I wonder the relationship between the two parts.
    (With the near-certain collapse of the Doha round, you can be sure that, in the coming days, business executives, think-tank economists and former chairmen of the Federal Reserve will come forward with all sorts of dire warnings about the dangers of protectionism and isolationism. They should all save their breath. You can't go around the world preaching about democracy and free markets if you're not willing to accept the results of elections and acknowledge the shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas.)
    The sentences above are taken from the following webpage.
    World Puts the Brakes on the Rush to Globalization

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "shifting sentiments in

Quote Originally Posted by abclearner View Post
    Could anybody help me with English? I really need help. a million thanks.
    What does "shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas" mean? And why is that "if you don't acknowledge the shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas", "you can't preach about free arkets"? I wonder the relationship between the two parts.
    (With the near-certain collapse of the Doha round, you can be sure that, in the coming days, business executives, think-tank economists and former chairmen of the Federal Reserve will come forward with all sorts of dire warnings about the dangers of protectionism and isolationism. They should all save their breath. You can't go around the world preaching about democracy and free markets if you're not willing to accept the results of elections and acknowledge the shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas.)
    The sentences above are taken from the following webpage.
    World Puts the Brakes on the Rush to Globalization
    "Shifting sentiments in the marketplace of ideas" likens ideas to products that are offered to customers. Just as people's taste in clothes changes, so too can there preference for certain ideas. A free market is based on the idea that consumers will choose what they want based on their individual preferences, influenced only by price, quality, and availability -- no governmental interference.

This guy seems to think that those who believe in free markets for products have to tolerate and support every possible idea on the planet. I think that is a bit of a stretch, personally.