Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct my mistakes in this short story? I wrote it as a draft, in one go, so there are probably a lot of mistakes. "Dishevelled" is BrE.

I was playing Minecraft on my laptop when my telephone rang, and the voice of the Prime Minister said, “Kevin, I want to see you in my office.” My initial thought was that again he had made a woman pregnant and I have to sort it out and find some funds to buy her silence. I switched off the laptop, put on my shoes, fastened the buttons of my shirt, adjusted my tie and went to see him.

“Kevin, you are more among ordinary people then I’d ever be, so please be honest and tell me what they think about me,” he said. As I hesitated, debating with myself whether to be frank or lie, his voice broke in on my thoughts, “Kevin, I want to hear the truth.”

“They think you’re dishonest, a liar and a manipulator.”

I watched for his reaction, but he seemed unperturbed. “More please,” he said then grabbed a tumbler of whisky and drained it. With his dishevelled red hair, jug ears and bulbous red nose, he reminded me of a clown.”

“They think you’re a clown, a womanizer, a show-off, and a bully.”

“Tell me more, tell me everything,” he said. He took his tie off, undid the buttons of his shirt so that his curly chest hair peeked out. He reached for a bottle and poured another tumbler of whisky. He put his feet up on the desk so that the soles of his shoes pointed at me. He didn’t offer me a seat or a drink.

“They think you’re uncouth, overbearing, selfish, godless, racist and macho.”

“Thank you, Kevin,” he said. “I really appreciate your honesty. I understand I have to change many things in me in order that people trust me and like me. I promise you’ll soon see my better version.”

A few months later, I was again playing a game on my laptop, while soaking my feet in a plastic bath tub when my telephone rang, and the voice of the Prime Minister said, “Kevin, would you please come to my office.” I switched off the laptop, buttoned up my shirt, adjusted my tie and pulled my feet out of the water before drying them and slipping them into my shoes.

“Selam Alaikum,” the Prime Minister said when I entered, to which I replied, “Wa Alaikum Alsallam.” He sat at his desk, his fingers turning the beads of a rosary. This time a jug of orange juice stood in front of him instead of whisky. He offered me a seat and a drink, which I accepted.

“My faithful Kevin,” he began, you know how much I trust you and appreciate your opinion. Tell me please what people think about me now.”

My eyes swept around his office, which was unrecognizable with the citations from the Quran on all the walls and the large picture of the Kaaba behind him, and I said,

“People don’t like that you wear white socks with your Birkenstock sandals. They think it is the height of bad taste.”

“I swear I had a good intention,” he sighed. “I wanted to be close to the masses. I wanted to be one of them. Tell me more, please.”

“They don’t like your bushy beard, your darkened skin, and that you’ve converted to Islam and went on a pilgrimage to Mecca. They think you’ve sold yourself out. They believe you kowtow to sheiks for gain. They don’t like when you break off your media conference, then take your prayer mat with you and go to a corner to pray to Allah. They don’t like that you end your speeches with ‘Inshallah’.”

“Only God can judge me,” the Prime Minister said, citing Tupac Shakur, much to my surprise. No doubt, he has been working on his new image and listened to rap a lot.

“They don’t like that you’ve started with feminizing hormone therapy. They’re confused because they don’t know what the final result’s going to be. Are they going to call you he, she or it? They don’t have any experience of a transgender Prime Minister. There’s still so much prejudice in society against transsexuals. We’re surrounded by bigots who hate everyone who doesn’t think or look like themselves. It can’t be helped.”

“They’ll get used to it,” he said. “They’ll surely love my new breasts. It’ll be a D cup, something to talk about at coffee breaks. I’m convinced they’ll get accustomed to my new looks and identity in no time as well.” But I was not so sure and told him he had to change tack.

“You have to reinvent yourself,” I said. “Nowadays, refugees are the latest trend. Why not become one of them?”

A couple of days later, the Archbishop of Canterbury gave a eulogy for our lovely Prime Minister. With tears trickling down his old face he said, “Today we take farewell from our tragically deceased political leader. He perished in the huge waves of the stormy sea. He couldn’t reach the White Cliffs of Dover. He was one of many thousands who had risked everything for better life. Alas, fate was cruel to him. A proud wearer of sandals and white socks, feminist, nascent transsexual, Muslim and fan of rap music, he left us when we need him most. Who is going to entertain us now? How is going to give us the strength? Who will lead us through the dangerous world when we are left all alone and Europe treats us like an unwanted child? Not since the death of our Margaret, did we feel such sorrow…”
THE END

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The prime minister makes a lot of changes, and they are confusing.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,
This is just a first draft. I posted it only to see where I have made grammatical mistakes. Actually, I didn't intend to write a short story, but one sentence led to another, and then I couldn't stop writing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was playing Minecraft on my laptop when my telephone rang,. It was the Prime Minister. He said, “Kevin, I want to see you in my office.” My initial thought was that once again he had made a woman pregnant, and I have to sort it out and find some funds to buy her silence. I switched off the laptop, put on my shoes, fastened the buttons of my shirt, adjusted my tie and went to see him.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
“Kevin, you are more among ordinary people than I'll ever be, so please be honest and tell me what they think about me,” he said. As I hesitated, debating with myself whether to be frank or lie, his voice broke in on my thoughts, “Kevin, I want to hear the truth.”

“They think you’re dishonest, a liar and a manipulator.”

I watched for his reaction, but he seemed unperturbed. “More please,” he said then grabbed a tumbler of whisky and drained it. With his dishevelled red hair, jug ears and bulbous red nose, he reminded me of a clown.”

“They think you’re a clown, a womanizer, a show-off, and a bully.”
"Tell me more. Tell me everything," he said. He took his tie off, undid the buttons of his shirt so that his curly chest hair peeked out. He reached for a bottle and poured another tumbler of whisky. He put his feet up on the desk so that the soles of his shoes pointed at me. He didn’t offer me a seat or a drink.

“They think you’re uncouth, overbearing, selfish, godless, racist and macho.”

“Thank you, Kevin,” he said. “I really appreciate your honesty. I understand I have to change many things in myself so people will trust me and like me. I promise you’ll soon see improvement.

A few months later, I was again playing a game on my laptop, while soaking my feet in a plastic bath tub when my telephone rang, and the voice of the Prime Minister said, “Kevin, would you please come to my office.” I switched off the laptop, buttoned up my shirt, adjusted my tie and pulled my feet out of the water before drying them and slipping them into my shoes.

“Selam Alaikum,” the Prime Minister said when I entered, to which I replied, “Wa Alaikum Alsallam.” He sat at his desk, his fingers turning the beads of a rosary. This time a jug of orange juice stood in front of him instead of whisky. He offered me a seat and a drink, which I accepted.

“My faithful Kevin,” he began, you know how much I trust you and appreciate your opinion. Tell me please what people think about me now.”

My eyes swept around his office, which was unrecognizable with the citations from the Quran on all the walls and the large picture of the Kaaba behind him, and I said,

“People don’t like that you wear white socks with your Birkenstock sandals. They think it is the height of bad taste.”

“I swear I had good intentions,” he sighed. “I wanted to be close to the masses. I wanted to be one of them. Tell me more, please.”

“They don’t like your bushy beard, your darkened skin, and that you’ve converted to Islam and went on a pilgrimage to Mecca. They think you’ve sold yourself out. They believe you kowtow to sheiks for gain. They don’t like when you break off your media conference, then take your prayer mat with you and go to a corner to pray to Allah. They don’t like that you end your speeches with ‘Inshallah’.”

“Only God can judge me,” the Prime Minister said, citing Tupac Shakur, much to my surprise. No doubt, he has been working on his new image and listened to rap a lot.

“They don’t like that you’ve started with feminizing hormone therapy. They’re confused because they don’t know what the final result’s going to be. Are they going to call you he, she or it? They don’t have any experience of a transgender Prime Minister. There’s still so much prejudice in society against transsexuals. We’re surrounded by bigots who hate everyone who doesn’t think or look like themselves. It can’t be helped.”

“They’ll get used to it,” he said. “They’ll surely love my new breasts. It’ll be a D cup, something to talk about at coffee breaks. I’m convinced they’ll get accustomed to my new looks and identity in no time as well.” But I was not so sure and told him he had to change tack.

“You have to reinvent yourself,” I said. “Nowadays, refugees are the latest trend. Why not become one of them?”

A couple of days later, the Archbishop of Canterbury gave a eulogy for our lovely Prime Minister. With tears trickling down his old face he said, “Today we take farewell from our tragically deceased political leader. He perished in the huge waves of the stormy sea. He couldn’t reach the White Cliffs of Dover. He was one of many thousands who had risked everything for better life. Alas, fate was cruel to him. A proud wearer of sandals and white socks, feminist, nascent transsexual, Muslim and fan of rap music, he left us when we need him most. Who is going to entertain us now? How is going to give us the strength? Who will lead us through this dangerous world now that we are left all alone and Europe treats us like an unwanted child? Not since the death of our Margaret have we feel such sorrow…”
THE END

They think he's a total phony, and they are right.

pankajsehoriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

[Moderator's note: please see post #8]
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a telephone conversation today with His Excellency Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.

President Trump spoke about the US Presidency of the Group of Seven, and conveyed his desire to expand the ambit of the grouping beyond the existing membership, to include other important countries including India. In this context, he extended an invitation to Prime Minister Modi to attend the next G-7 Summit to be held in USA.

Prime Minister Modi commended President Trump for his creative and far-sighted approach, acknowledging the fact that such an expanded forum would be in keeping with the emerging realities of the post-COVID world. The Prime Minister said that India would be happy to work with the US and other countries to ensure the success of the proposed Summit.

Prime Minister Modi expressed concern regarding the ongoing civil disturbances in the US, and conveyed his best wishes for an early resolution of the situation.

The two leaders also exchanged views on other topical issues, such as the COVID-19 situation in the two countries, the situation on the India-China border, and the need for reforms in the World Health Organisation.

President Trump warmly recalled his visit to India in February this year. Prime Minister Modi said that the visit had been memorable and historic on many accounts, and had also added new dynamism to the bilateral relationship.

The exceptional warmth and candour of the conversation reflected the special nature of the Indo-US ties, as well as the friendship and mutual esteem between both leaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, pankajsehoriya, but your post has nothing to do with Bassim's thread.

If you want us to comment on your own writing, please submit it in a new thread of your own.

I've faded your text rather than deleted it so you don't have to type it all out again when you do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.