[General] He can't join our meeting because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kevin and I were supposed to join an English club meeting. But before the meeting, Kevin told me he just got some work (He's an interpreter) so he couldn't join the conversation (It was a meeting among many people who went there to speak English) but he would finally go to the club where the meeting is held to meet us. The meeting started at 3 and ended at 6. He came at 5:50.

Before the meeting:

Gary: Silver, where is Kevin? He said in the group that he would come and join us with you.
Silver: He can't join our meeting because he got a temporary notice* to interpret in an automobile show**, but he'll come here after he finishes working.

*: He planned to come to the English club meeting because at that time he didn't get any notice from perhaps his company or school that he was going to work, but later he got one.
**: A place where cars are displayed and some foreigners will come and buy cars.

Please help me with my italic sentence. I think it's wordy, unnatural and redundant. But that was what I said at that time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last night, Kevin and I were supposed to [STRIKE]join[/STRIKE] go to an English Club meeting. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, before the meeting, Kevin told me he had just got some work (he's an interpreter) so he couldn't [STRIKE]join the conversation (It was a meeting among many people who went there to speak English) but[/STRIKE] come. He [STRIKE]would finally go to the club where the meeting is held to[/STRIKE] said he would come and meet us later. The meeting [STRIKE]started at 3 and ended at[/STRIKE] ran from 3 until 6. He came at 5:50.

Shortly before the meeting started:

Gary: Silver, where's Kevin? He said in the group (do you mean an online chat?) that [STRIKE]he would come and join us with you.[/STRIKE] he'd be here/be coming.
Silver: He can't [STRIKE]join our meeting[/STRIKE] come because he got [STRIKE]a temporary notice* to interpret in an automobile show**,[/STRIKE] a last-minute interpreting job but he'll come [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] after he finishes. [STRIKE]working.[/STRIKE]

*: He had planned to come to the [STRIKE]English club[/STRIKE] meeting because [STRIKE]at that time[/STRIKE] he didn't [STRIKE]get any notice from perhaps his company or school that he was going[/STRIKE] think he had to work, but he was later [STRIKE]he got one[/STRIKE] given a last-minute job.
**: [STRIKE]A place where cars are displayed and some foreigners will come and buy cars.[/STRIKE] A car show.

Please help me with my italic sentence. I think it's wordy, unnatural and redundant. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, that was what I said at that time.

See above. As you can see from my multiple shortenings of your sentences, quite a lot of your writing was overly wordy. You need to bear in mind that native speakers generally use as few words as possible to express what they mean.
This is what you'd hear from two native English speakers chatting just before the meeting started:

Gary: Where's Kevin? I thought he was coming.
Silver: Last-minute interpreting job came up. He's gonna come afterwards.
Gary: Great!

Please stop trying to start sentences with "But". In both cases above, you used it wrongly. You needed "However" or you needed to use "but" as a conjunction to join the sentences either side of it together.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

You need to bear in mind that native speakers generally use as few words as possible to express what they mean.

I agree and will bear this mind. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Please stop trying to start sentences with "But". In both cases above, you used it wrongly. You needed "However" or you needed to use "but" as a conjunction to join the sentences either side of it together.

Got it!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He said in the group (do you mean an online chat?)

Yes. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it is an "online chat". We have an online group and all the members are there. Let's say we are all in an online group and we discuss what we chat in person next week. It's like that.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is a means to bypass the authorities in certain countries in accessing foreign websites which are banned by them. For example, Facebook , Twiitter, Instagram and Whatsapp are banned in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.