Diary entry - Tomorrow, I will have a Chinese language test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Tomorrow, I will have a Chinese language test. I haven't done any preparation for it yet. Actually, I applied for the same test two years ago, along with an English test. However, I only took the English and skipped the Chinese because I woke up late. I've been lazy in recent years, and additionally, the test is free so I don't have a strong drive to do it. Also, a typhoon is affecting Hong Kong so if the bad weather continues till tomorrow, I may consider not attending the test. I know I have a lot of excuses. I hope I can make it this time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Tomorrow, I [will] have a Chinese language test. I haven't done any preparation for it yet. Actually, I [STRIKE]applied[/STRIKE] put in for/I was supposed to take the same test two years ago, along with an English test. However, I only took the English test [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] - I [STRIKE]skipped[/STRIKE] missed the Chinese one because I woke up late. I've been lazy in recent years no comma here and [STRIKE]additionally,[/STRIKE] the test is free so I don't have a strong drive to do it. Also, a typhoon is currently affecting Hong Kong [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] and if the bad weather continues [STRIKE]till[/STRIKE] tomorrow, I [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] might consider not [STRIKE]attending[/STRIKE] taking the test. I know I have a lot of excuses but I hope I can make it this time.

emsr2d2

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
An alternative ...
Tomorrow, I will have a Chinese language test. I haven't done any preparation for it yet. Actually, I had applied for the same test, as well as an English test, two years ago. [STRIKE], along with an English test.[/STRIKE] However, I only took the English test and [STRIKE]skipped[/STRIKE] missed the Chinese one because I'd woken up late on the day of those tests. I've been lazy in recent years, and [STRIKE]additionally,[/STRIKE] the test is free, so I don't have a strong drive to do it. Also, a typhoon is affecting Hong Kong, so if the bad weather continues (till) tomorrow, I may consider not [STRIKE]attending[/STRIKE] doing/taking the test. I know I have a lot of excuses. I hope I can make it this time.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have a question about commas in a conjunction sentence. For example, the comma between "free" and "so". When is it needed?

Do I need a comma in the following sentence?

I was sad so I watched a comedy.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the comma is required before the conjunction, "so".

Is it better to say "Hong Kong is being hit by a typhoon" instead of saying "a typhoon is affecting Hong Kong"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about motivation instead of drive?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have a question about commas [STRIKE]in a[/STRIKE] before conjunctions. [STRIKE]sentence.[/STRIKE] For example, the comma between "free" and "so". When is it needed?
Do I need a comma in the following sentence?
I was sad, so I watched a comedy.
You need the comma in that sentence because "so" is acting as a coordinating (not a subordinating) conjunction.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The comma comes before the conjunction "so", not after.

Status
Not open for further replies.