Diary entry - Today, I bought a watermelon home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I bought a watermelon home. My mother saw that, and told me a story she had already repeated many times: When you were a child, I bought you a watermelon. After I cut it into pieces, you defended them with your arms surrounding them, and yelled, "They're all mine! They're all mine!". However, you got full after eating only a few, and said, "Mum, you eat some." My mum said that was funny. I don't remember that incident, but it could has happened, because I really loved watermelons. Now, I especially like to cut it into halves and eat it with a spoon.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I bought a watermelon home. My mother saw it, and told me a story she had already repeated many times: When you were a child, I bought you a watermelon. After I cut it into pieces, you defended them with your arms surrounding them, and yelled, "They're all mine! They're all mine!". However, you got full after eating only a few[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] and said, "Mum, you eat some." My mum said that was funny. I don't remember that incident, but it could has happened, because I really loved watermelons. Now, I especially like to cut it into halves and eat it with a spoon.
Good job!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today, I bought a watermelon home.
That's wrong. You probably mean to write "brought". However, you can just say "Today, I bought a watermelon".

After I cut it into pieces,
You can also say "After I'd cut it into slices".

, but it could [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have happened,
Note the correction. We use the base form of the verb after a modal auxiliary.

Now, I especially like to cut [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] a watermelon into halves and eat it with a spoon.
That first "it" doesn't work. In the previous sentence, you have the plural "watermelons". The second "it" works because it refers to the "a watermelon" (in red).

Status
Not open for further replies.