Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Coud you please listen to the part of this recording. (starting from 11 second).

I hear "spent nearly a year you know". But I hear it in the way that "E" in "spent" sounds like "E" in Australian pronunciation of "bed" or in American pronunciation of "make" (one of two vowels in may). "T" is not pronounced (stop "T"). "You know" is pronounced in a very relaxed manner (a kind of "yeah-na"). I admit that the guy is trying to imitate his mother's posh English.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He says "It's been nearly a year, you know". "Been" sounds like "bin" as it does in many variants of English when speaking casually. "You" sounds like "yuh" (or "ya"). "Know" sounds a little odd but I think that's because he uses the "questioning intonation" at the end of the sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I imagine the part that may be contributing to distracting you is the filler 'uh' between been and nearly.

It's been uh nearly a year, you know.

I should also point out that this woman does not speak with posh pronunciation—far from it! (Just listen to how she says 'chocolate'.) Also, he is not trying to imitate her accent in the slightest.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Even a mere colonial like me knows that accent is anything but posh. Furthermore the whole thing is merely a disguised business promo and I am sorely tempted to delete it and report the poster as a spammer. I'm holding back only because of its (negative) teaching value. If you want to sound posh, Svetlana, do not emulate these two.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Been" sounds like "bin" as it does in many variants of English

We Canadians sometimes pronounce been as bean rather than bin. In my experience Americans tend to mock us for it because, I believe, they never pronounce it that way.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Coud you please listen to the part of this recording. (starting from 11 second).

I hear "spent nearly a year you know". . . .

I hear "It's been nearly a year, you know."

I admit that the guy is trying to imitate his mother's posh English.

It doesn't sound to me like he's imitating anyone. He's just talking.

Thank you.
You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.