[Grammar] Can we make exclamations with "how many"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Is the following sentence correct:
Wow! How many toys (you have)!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The parentheses don't belong there. Otherwise, it's not bad informal English.

I'd probably say: "Wow! Look how many toys you have!"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm imagining a mother shouting at her little boy:

'Isambard, how many times have I told you to stop playing with those toy trains! Get your backside over to the table and eat your broccoli or you'll never grow up to be an important man!'

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm imagining a mother shouting at her little boy:

'Isambard, how many times have I told you to stop playing with those toy trains!

That's right, of course, but it isn't what the OP means since it uses how many in a different way, i.e., as a question word of quantification.

My answer to this is no, but I'm having trouble justifying it because How few toys you have! seems perfectly fine. I think that what makes me say the OP sentence is wrong is precisely that the phrase How many so strongly leads the listener to interpret it as a question word, which is not how it's intended. We're just so used to using and understanding how many in this quantifying question-word sense.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's right, of course, but it isn't what the OP means since it uses how many in a different way, i.e., as a question word of quantification.

My answer to this is no, but I'm having trouble justifying it because How few toys you have! seems perfectly fine. I think that what makes me say the OP sentence is wrong is precisely that the phrase How many so strongly leads the listener to interpret it as a question word, which is not how it's intended. We're just so used to using and understanding how many in this quantifying question-word sense.
Yes. It's like Little Red Riding Hood: "Grandma! What big teeth you have!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it's quite common to use "How many + noun?!" as an exclamation/question. The tone of voice would express the surprise.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BrE, it's quite common to use "How many + noun?!" as an exclamation/question.

When Mike MC says 'exclamations', he's talking about a particular sentence form, not about exclamatory utterances in general, and not about interrogatives or reduced interrogatives (which is what I think you might mean here).

Grandma! What big teeth you have!
Oh, look! How lovely.
Thank you. How kind.
How sweet it is to be loved by you.

In these sentences, there's no questioning going on. In the final example, the part reading How sweet does not in any way elicit a graded answer (i.e., very sweet, quite sweet, etc.) It's very different in meaning from that in, say, How sweet do you like your tea? where there's a sense of degree of sweetness.

Similarly, when we use the words how many, we're talking about degree in a similar way (number is essentially a kind of degree). So in sentences with embedded questions, such as I don't know how many times I've told you not to say that or in short reduced exclamatory utterances like How many more times?!, the idea of number is equally there. In the OP sentence, it isn't there.

Last edited:

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Grandma! What big teeth you have!
Oh, look! How lovely.
Thank you. How kind.
How sweet it is to be loved by you.
Thanks for the answer! How about the following exclamations: Are they the same? Are they both correct?
How you've grown!
How much you've grown!

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"How you've grown" is perfect. The other sounds unnatural to my ears, but I can't explain why.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
"How you've grown" is perfect. The other sounds unnatural to my ears, but I can't explain why.
Even if it sounds unnatural, I think it's the origin of the common form, "How you've grown", and they're basically the same. I came to this conclusion when I saw the following:
"How do you like living in London (=how much do you like it)?"
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
Or the following pair:

• You have no idea how I love you.
  • You have no idea how much I love you.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it's the origin of the common form, "How you've grown", and they're basically the same.

I don't think that's right.

"How do you like living in London (=how much do you like it)?"

I don't think that's quite right, either, though it's a reasonable paraphrase for the purposes of a simple explanation.

Or the following pair:

• You have no idea how I love you.
  • You have no idea how much I love you.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first sentence there is no good. Only the second one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.