Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
These examples are from "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince. Do you think in #2 either "can", "might", "may" and "could" works before "be frequent"? In #3 either "will" or "can" can be used, in #4 "might" or "will" and in #5 either "can" or "could"?

1. "Even if you don't live in a Mediterranean country you may/can already know about earthquakes." Only "may".

2. "They can/might be frequent in some countries, though most are too small to be noticed by humans and you may not /cannot notice when one occurs." Only "may not." Before "frequent" either "may", "might," "could" or "can".

3. "In a stronger tremor there is more movement, and so the furniture in the room can/will move." Depending on the meaning either can be used. I think "may/might/could" are also correct.

4. "Tall buildings will may definitely move a little, and, depending on how well the building is constructed cracks might/will appear in the walls." "Will appear". "May","might," "can" "could" are also correct.

5. "In a major earthquake the building could/can collapse completely, though with modern earthquake-proof buildings this is unlikely." Either "can", "could", "may", "might" "will".

I asked this question on another forum but as I have read several opinions regarding one of the sentences "Earthquakes could/may/ might be dangerous" a native speaker said "may" is not impossible but on UE I have read that "can" is the only correct answer. It would be very useful for me to know what you think about these five sentences.

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/may-vs-might-vs-can-vs-could.3835577/#post-19598523

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The conversation over at WR still seem to be going on. The last post was only 27 minutes ago. I think you ought to give that more time before you ask here about five sentences and many possible modals.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You are losing the goodwill of our members by expecting them to keep hopping over there and back again to avoid duplication.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
A native speaker on WR wrote that either "could/might/may/can is possible in "Earthquakes can/might/may/could be dangerous." On UE I have been told that "can" is the only correct choice. We are talking about a general possibility.
When talking about personal experience the native speaker on WR said either "might/can/could" can be used in "Earthquakes can be frequent" and "Winters can be cold". But "may" is not used in such examples when we talk about experience. I was wondering if the teachers agree with this opinion. Some opinions are completely different. So would a native BrE speaker use "may/might/could/can" when talking about both personal experience and general possibility in these examples?

1. "They can/may/might/could be frequent in some countries, though most are too small to be noticed by humans and you may not cannot notice when one occurs." Only "may not" is correct in the negative sentence.

2. "In a stronger tremor there is more movement, and so the furniture in the room can/could/may/might/will move."

3. "Tall buildings will/may/might/can/could definitely move a little, and, depending on how well the building is constructed cracks might/will/can/could/may appear in the walls."

4. "In a major earthquake the building could/can/may/might collapse completely, though with modern earthquake-proof buildings this is unlikely.

5. "Earthquakes can/could/may/might be frequent/dangerous. (Generally)

6. "Earthquakes can/could/might (not "may") be frequent/dangerous here."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"As no more replies have been posted in WR for over 48 hours I have reopened the thread I closed earlier, but don't be surprised if another moderator closes it again or even deletes it and bans you."
(Rover_KE)

Thank you!

I am not asking about what had already been answered on WR I am asking about the difference in opinions which is important for us to know. I mean us, learners. In Michael Swan's grammar different uses and rules are mentioned and discussed. He explains why different native speakers have different opinions use tenses, modal verbs etc differently and that learners should take that into account. I am actually doing the same. I am not sure I should be banned for considering different opinions as my book teaches me to.

Just letting everyone know I am not asking about what is right or wrong. The question is would a native BrE speaker use "may/might/could/can" when talking about both personal experience and general possibility in these examples? I just need a teacher's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. "Even if you don't live in a Mediterranean country, you might already know about earthquakes."

2. "They are frequent in some countries, though most are too small to be noticed by humans and you might not notice when one occurs."

3. "In a stronger tremor, there is more movement, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] so the furniture in the room might move."

4. "Tall buildings will [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] definitely move a little no comma here and, depending on how well the building is constructed, cracks might appear in the walls."

5. "In a major earthquake, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] buildings can collapse completely, though with modern earthquake-proof buildings this is unlikely."

I have indicated above what I would say in everyday British English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you have already discovered, native speakers have different opinions on which modals are acceptable/'correct' in different contexts.

Discussion of such things is difficult when you present so many possibilities for us to consider. If we were to write out your sentences in full, we'd have twenty eight to consider. I have neither the time nor the energy for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.