English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need something like:

Thank you for offering me the position of manager. However, I applied for and was interviewed for the role of senior manager. Understandably, I am disappointed not to have been offered that role. Unfortunately, I do not wish to take up the position of manager.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to the opportunity of working for you in the future should another senior manager position become available.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Remember that job titles at two different companies can have two different meanings. Consider:

- the size of the two companies. (A vice president at a small company might be like a project manager at a big one.)
- the culture of the two companies. (One might be very progressive, the other might be cut-throat.)
- the job descriptions of the jobs at the two companies. (They might be the same even though the titles are different.)

The important question is: Is this a company you want to work for?:

- Do you trust them?
- How good is their reputation compared to where you work now?
- Is there room for advancement?
- How is it better than your current job?
- Can you live with the lesser position they are offering?

If they lied to you, don't go to work there. That won't change. Could this be a simple misunderstanding? There's a big difference between a friendly conversation and a firm decision.

Again, be careful. Implying in an email that they misled you could lead to not getting any job with them. In English, we have a saying: A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need something like:

Thank you for offering me the position of manager. However, I applied for and was interviewed for the role of senior manager. Understandably, I am disappointed not to have been offered that role. Unfortunately, I do not wish to take up the position of manager.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to the opportunity of working for you in the future should another senior manager position become available.
Well put.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You need something like:

Thanks emsr2d2.

Your suggestion is good if I wanted to totally end up the relationship with my prospective employer. In fact, I don't want to do that. I need to negotiate with them and convince them not to to change the terms of our initial agreement of hiring me as a senior manager.

I would like to show in my message that I respect their new decision and titles are just formalities to me but keeping our agreement unchanged will surely make a big difference on me as an prospective employee that my employer is keeping his own words with me.

I also need to ask them to be involved with HR to sort this issue out and keep the offer unchanged.

I hope now it is clear to you what I wanted to deliver in my message.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Remember that job titles at two different companies can have two different meanings. Consider:

- the size of the two companies. (A vice president at a small company might be like a project manager at a big one.)
- the culture of the two companies. (One might be very progressive, the other might be cut-throat.)
- the job descriptions of the jobs at the two companies. (They might be the same even though the titles are different.)

The important question is: Is this a company you want to work for?:

- Do you trust them?
- How good is their reputation compared to where you work now?
- Is there room for advancement?
- How is it better than your current job?
- Can you live with the lesser position they are offering?

If they lied to you, don't go to work there. That won't change. Could this be a simple misunderstanding? There's a big difference between a friendly conversation and a firm decision.

Again, be careful. Implying in an email that they misled you could lead to not getting any job with them. In English, we have a saying: A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Thanks Charlie.

I always like your feedback and respect your advice.

Yes, I totally agree with you that the title depends on the size, the culture of the company along with the job responsibilities of the role. That's why I accepted in the first place to have a senior manager role with the new company although I am currently holding a director level. But this is not the point of disagreement.

The point of disagreement is that I will feel uncomfortable and unsecured that my prospective employer has changed our agreement before we start working together. What would happen if we got a chance of working together?! They might demote my title or they might change the set of benefits for the position.

I would like to be very wise in my email by showing them that I respect their decision but keeping our initial agreement unchanged will make a big difference for me as a prospective employee especially in terms of security.

I hope now you got what I wanted to say in my critical email.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks emsr2d2.

Your suggestion is good if I wanted to totally end up the relationship with my prospective employer. In fact, I don't want to do that. I need to negotiate with them and convince them not to to change the terms of our initial agreement of hiring me as a senior manager.

I would like to show in my message that I respect their new decision, and titles are just formalities to me, but keeping our agreement unchanged will surely make a big difference to me as a prospective employee, knowing that my employer is keeping his [STRIKE]own[/STRIKE] word [STRIKE]with me[/STRIKE].

I also need to ask them to be involved with HR to sort this issue out and keep the offer unchanged.

I hope now it is clear to you what I wanted to deliver in my message.
It is. The corrected language in my previous post does that. Again, only send it if you're willing to risk not getting any job with them.

Ask yourself: Is their new offer totally unacceptable? If it is, send the email and cross your fingers. If you can live with it and you want to work there, just take the job.

The language Ems suggests is much better. If you're going to take whatever they offer, then don't quibble. Just take the job. If you're committed to the senior position, then say so.

You can't have it both ways. Either you'll take their current offer or you won't. You can't negotiate without a bottom line. It doesn't work that way.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Charlie.

I always like your feedback and respect your advice.

Yes, I totally agree with you that the title depends on the size, the culture of the company along with the job responsibilities of the role. That's why I accepted in the first place to have a senior manager role with the new company although I am currently holding a director level. But this is not the point of disagreement.

The point of disagreement is that I will feel uncomfortable and unsecured that my prospective employer has changed our agreement before we start working together. What would happen if we got a chance of working together?! They might demote my title or they might change the set of benefits for the position.

That is the reason to stick to the original agreement. It's about integrity. You don't want to work for a company you can't trust. Again, that's why the letter Ems suggests makes the most sense. If you let them cheat you now, it will only get worse when you start there.

I would like to be very wise in my email by showing them that I respect their decision but keeping our initial agreement unchanged will make a big difference for me as a prospective employee especially in terms of security.

I hope now you got what I wanted to say in my critical email.
I do. Thank you for explaining in detail.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You feel insecure, not unsecured.

Status