Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi all,

I appreciate your help regarding the below e-mail.

"I appreciate your support and push to get the process moving ahead regarding my offer.

The HR has explained the situation for me and that my prospective title is going to be downgraded to manager instead of being senior manager and accordingly the salary, and the benefits will be decreased.

For the salary, it will never be a point of contention and I am not considering it as a priority. My first priority and what I am highly concerned about is working with you and making milestones and achievements.

I got it that my reporting line, and responsibilities will be the same but as a professional and CV wise, you may agree with me that it is unwise and unlikely to downgrade from a director level to a managerial position. This may impact my CV negatively.

I would appreciate your involvement with HR to reach a satisfactory resolution for all parties without impacting my CV by keeping the title the same as our initial agreement or to be an equivalent role to senior level such as senior consultant."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Downward is an adverb. You can't use it as a verb. Downgrade perhaps.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I have made some tweaks to my e-mail as follows on which I appreciate your support in editing it.

"I respect the option that has been shared with me by HR that my prospective title is going to be downwarded to manager instead of being senior manager and accordingly the salary, and the benefits will be downgraded.

For me, titles are formalities especially when the reporting line has not changed, and salaries is not my first priority. My first priority and what I am highly concerned about is working and success together and making remarkable milestones and solid achievements.

But at the same time, fulfilling the terms of our original agreement and offer will surely give me more stability and unconcern especially after I am all set for holding this senior level position and after I have been informed by you that I got accepted for this role based on which I already gave a word to my current employer that I am leaving and based on which I am totally ready for the final offer and for joining.

I am all hope that my point of view is understood by you and I would appreciate your involvement with HR to keep the title the same as our initial agreement or to be an equivalent role to senior level such as senior consultant."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about moved down to Manager?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word you want is "downgrade."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have made some tweaks to my e-mail as follows, on which I appreciate your help editing it.

"I respect the option that has been shared with me by HR that my prospective title is going to be downgraded to manager instead of being senior manager, and accordingly, the salary[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] benefits will also be downgraded.

For me, titles are formalities, especially when the reporting line has not changed, and salary is not my first priority. My first priority and what I am highly concerned about is working successfully together [STRIKE]and making remarkable milestones and solid achievements[/STRIKE].

But at the same time, fulfilling the terms we originally discussed will surely give me more stability and security, especially after I was expecting to assume the senior level position and you had accepted me for that role, based on which I have already given notice to my current employer [STRIKE]that I am leaving and based on which I am totally ready for the final offer and for joining[/STRIKE].

I [STRIKE]am all[/STRIKE] hope you understand my point of view is understood by you, and I would appreciate your involvement with HR to keep the title the same as in our initial agreement or to give me an equivalent senior role, [STRIKE]to senior level[/STRIKE] such as senior consultant."
You start by saying that a title is just a formality, but end by asking to keep the original title. If it's just a formality, why make it an issue? Do you want the original title or do you want the original level responsibility and pay?

You need to be clear about that.

In your last sentence, you call your discussion an agreement. Was it really an agreement? Did you get anything in writing?

Also, consultants are not employees. Are you sure you want to be a consultant to them?

A vocabulary note: When we tell an employer we're resigning, it's often called giving notice."

Finally, beware that this email might make them decide to withdraw the offer. So only send it if the offer they made is truly unacceptable.

PS: Mind your commas!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have made some tweaks to my e-mail as follows, on which I appreciate your help editing it.

"I respect the option that HR has shared with me that my prospective title be downgraded to manager from senior manager and that, accordingly, the salary[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] benefits will also be reduced.

For me, titles are formalities, especially when the reporting line has not changed, and salary is not my first priority. My first priority and what I am highly concerned about is working successfully together [STRIKE]and making remarkable milestones and solid achievements[/STRIKE].

But at the same time, fulfilling the terms we originally discussed will surely give me more stability and security, especially after was prepared to assume the senior level position and you had accepted me for this role, based on which I have already given notice to my current employer [STRIKE]that I am leaving and based on which I am totally ready for the final offer and for joining[/STRIKE].

I [STRIKE]am all[/STRIKE] hope that you understand my point of view, [STRIKE]is understood by you[/STRIKE] and I would appreciate your involvement with HR to keep the title the same as in our initial agreement or to give me an equivalent senior role, [STRIKE]to senior level[/STRIKE] such as senior consultant."
You start by saying that a title is just a formality, but end by asking to keep the original title. If it's just a formality, why make it an issue? Do you want the original title or do you want the original levels of responsibility and pay? Are you sure title, salary, and responsibilities are not important to you?

You need to be more clear about that.

In your last sentence, you call your discussion with them an agreement. Was it really an agreement? Did you get anything in writing? Was there a contract?

Also, consultants are not employees. Are you sure you want to be a consultant to them?

A vocabulary note: When we tell an employer we're resigning, it's often called "giving notice."

Finally, beware that this email might make them decide to withdraw the offer. So only send it if the offer they made (you called it an "option") is truly unacceptable.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You start by saying that a title is just a formality, but end by asking to keep the original title. If it's just a formality, why make it an issue? Do you want the original title or do you want the original levels of responsibility and pay? Are you sure title, salary, and responsibilities are not important to you?

You need to be more clear about that.

In your last sentence, you call your discussion with them an agreement. Was it really an agreement? Did you get anything in writing? Was there a contract?

A vocabulary note: When we tell an employer we're resigning, it's often called "giving notice."

Finally, beware that this email might make them decide to withdraw the offer. So only send it if the offer they made (you called it an "option") is truly unacceptable.

Thanks Charlie for your suggestion and detailed feedback.

Yes, title is just a formality for me as long as the reporting line and the level of responsibility are the same but it is all about keeping their initial agreement with me that I will be considered for a senior manager role unchanged. By changing this agreement, I will surely feel unsecured and unstable as they all of sudden might demote me or end my contract. I would like to deliver this message to them but in the best professional way possible. I am sure you can help me in that.

Of course salary is important to me but what is more important to me is not to make a downward move in my CV by downgrading from a director to a manager.
As for the agreement, I didn't get anything in writing but I got their promise during the interviews and also the assessment was for a senior manager level so it is is really surprise to change their word all of a sudden.

I hope now you can help me delivering my message without holding anything negative against me by my prospect employer.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
it is all about keeping their initial agreement with me that I will be considered for a senior manager role unchanged.
[...]
I didn't get anything in writing but I got their promise during the interviews and also the assessment was for a senior manager level so it is is really surprise to change their word all of a sudden.
Were you ever actually formally offered a job as s senior manager?

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Were you ever actually formally offered a job as s senior manager?

Of course yes. If no, how I am currently holding a director position which is one level higher than senior manager.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But you said you were being considered for a senior manage role. You also said this was your prospective title. If you are currently a director at this company, then you are being demoted.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
But you said you were being considered for a senior manage role. You also said this was your prospective title. If you are currently a director at this company, then you are being demoted.

No, I am a director in another company.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You still haven't really answered my question. Did the company you are corresponding with actually formally offer you a job as senior manager?

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You still haven't really answered my question. Did the company you are corresponding with actually formally offer you a job as senior manager?

Of course yes, that's why I am sending them to keep the position unchanged.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If they offered you a job as senior manager, and you accepted it, I don't see how they can expect you to take a a lower positions.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If they offered you a job as senior manager, and you accepted it, I don't see how they can expect you to take a a lower positions.

Yes, this is exactly what happened. They changed what they originally offered me.

From your point view, how I can do not accept that in a professional way?

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I met with the CEO and he informed me that they can not offer me the same position that I am currently hold which is director but what they can offer is a senior manager role. I accepted that and accordingly the process of interview and assessment have started.

Later on, I have been told that I got accepted for the senior manager role and they asked me about the expected salary and the offer has been sent to the management for final approval.

I surprised when they called me two days ago to inform me that the role would be a manager role which is weird.

This the situation in more details.

I hope that by now you can be able to suggest how I can deliver my message of not accepting the changes happened to the offer but in a very professional and decent way.

Status
Not open for further replies.