Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you have time, please review my transcript on the BBC 6-Minute English: 'Building rapport with others'. (Note: the transcript is based on the subtitles.) (The subtitles were not perfect, so I took the dictation to make a better one.)

[Narrator: 6-Minute English, from BBCLearningEnglish.com]

Neil
Hello. This is 6-Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.

Georgina
And I’m Georgina.

Neil
Georgina and I have got to know each other very well after working together for so long.

Georgina
I know what sandwiches Neil has for lunch- egg and tomato right, Neil?

Neil
Right! And I know it really annoys Georgina when people don’t wash up their cups in the staff kitchen.

Georgina
So unhygienic!

Neil
But just as important as getting to know someone, socially or at work, is getting on with people. To get on with someone is a useful phrasal verb, meaning to like someone and enjoy a friendly relationship with them.

Georgina
Which is really important if you work with them every day!

Neil
And there’s another word to describe the good understanding and communication between two friends: rapport.

Georgina
Yes, how you build rapport and get on with people has been the subject of many self-help books over the years, and is the topic of this programme.

Neil
Well, you and I must have great rapport, Georgina, because that leads perfectly into my quiz question. In 1936, American writer Dale Carnegie wrote a famous self-help book on building rapport. It sold over 30 million copies, making it one of the best-selling books of all time – but what was it called? Is it:

a) How to get rich quick.
b) How to stop worrying and make friends.
or c) How to win friends and influence people.

Georgina
Um, I think I know this, Neil. I’m going to say, c) How to win friends and influence people.

Neil
OK, Georgina, we’ll find out if that’s right at the end of the programme.

Georgina
When it comes to getting on with people, psychologist Emily Alison has a few ideas. She’s built a career working with the police as they build rapport with criminal suspects.

Neil
Emily is the author of the new book: ‘Rapport: the four ways to read people’, and she told BBC Radio 4 programme ‘All In The Mind’ it isn’t easy to get along with everyone:

Emily Alison
I often describe rapport-building in relationships is, er, like walking a tightrope because you really do need to maintain that balance of being objective, treating people with compassion, but that doesn’t mean I’m sympathetic, I’m collusive – it’s that balance between judgement and avoidance.

Georgina
Emily describes rapport building as like walking a tightrope, an idiom to describe being in a difficult situation which requires carefully considering what to do.

Neil
Building rapport with terrorists or violent criminals isn’t easy. Emily doesn’t sympathise with what they have done, but she tries to remain objective - to base her judgement on the facts, not personal feelings.

Georgina
In her book, Emily identifies four main communication styles which she names after animals. The best at building rapport is the friendly and cooperative monkey.

Neil
Then there’s a pair of opposites: the bossy lion, who wants to take charge and control things, and the more passive mouse.

Georgina
Here’s Emily talking to BBC Radio 4’s ‘All In The Mind’ about the fourth animal, the T-Rex. Try to listen out for the communication style of this personality:

Emily Alison
You’ve got the T-Rex, which is conflict, so this is argument, whether you’re approaching it from a positive position where you can be direct, frank about your message or you approach that in a negative way by being... attacking, judgemental, argumentative, sarcastic, and that actually breeds the same behaviour back. So anyone who has teenagers will 100% recognise that (laugh). If you meet sarcasm with sarcasm, it’s only gonna go one way.

Neil
All four communication styles have good and bad points. On the positive side, T-Rex type people are frank – they express themselves in an open, honest way.

Georgina
But T-Rex types can also be sarcastic - say the opposite of what they really mean, in order to hurt someone’s feelings or criticise them in a funny way.

Neil
Yes, ‘sarcasm’ is a strange thing - like saying, “Oh, I really like your haircut”, when in fact you don’t!

Georgina
Yes. There’s an English saying that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, but I think British people can be quite sarcastic at times.

Neil
Well, I can’t image you’d make any friends being rude to people. Maybe they should read Dale Carnegie’s self-help book.

Georgina
Ah yes, your quiz question, Neil. Was my answer right?

Neil
In my quiz question I asked Georgina for the title of Dale Carnegie’s best-selling self-help book about building rapport. What did you say?

Georgina
I said the book is called, c) How to win friends and influence people.

Neil
Which is… the correct answer! And I guess you’ve read it, Georgina, because you have lots of friends.

Georgina
I hope you’re not being sarcastic, Neil!

Neil
Absolutely not! I’m not a sarcastic T-Rex type, more of a friendly monkey!

Georgina
OK, well, let’s stay friends and recap the vocabulary from this programme, starting with ‘rapport’ - a good feeling between two people based on understanding and communication.

Neil
If you ‘get on with someone’, you like and enjoy a friendly relationship with them.

Georgina
‘Walking a tightrope’ means to be in a difficult situation which requires careful consideration of what to do.

Neil
‘To be objective’ is to base your actions on facts rather than personal feelings.

Georgina
When ‘building rapport with someone’, it’s good to be frank – to express yourself in an open, honest way.

Neil
But not ‘sarcastic’ – to say the opposite of what you really mean, in order to hurt someone’s feelings or criticise them in a humorous way.

Georgina
Well, Neil, if we run over six minutes we’ll break our rapport with the 6-Minute English producer, so that’s all for this programme! Join us again soon for more trending topics and useful vocabulary.

Neil
And remember to download the BBC Learning English app and stay friends by following us on social media. Bye for now!

Georgina
Bye!

[Narrator: 6-Minute English, from the BBC]

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you have time, please review my transcript of the BBC 6-Minute English programme no colon here 'Building rapport with others'. (Note: the transcript is based on the subtitles. no brackets here The subtitles were not perfect, so I took the dictation to make [strike]a[/strike] them better [strike]one[/strike].)

[Narrator: Six-Minute English, from BBCLearningEnglish.com]

Neil: Hello. This is Six-Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.

Georgina: And I’m Georgina.

Neil: Georgina and I have got to know each other very well after working together for so long.

Georgina: I know what sandwiches Neil has for lunch space here - egg and tomato. Right, Neil?

Neil: Right! And I know it really annoys Georgina when people don’t wash up their cups in the staff kitchen.

Georgina: So unhygienic!

Neil: But just as important as getting to know someone, socially or at work, is getting on with people. To get on with someone is a useful phrasal verb, meaning to like someone and enjoy a friendly relationship with them.

Georgina: Which is really important if you work with them every day!

Neil: And there’s another word to describe the good understanding and communication between two friends: rapport.

Georgina: Yes, how you build rapport and get on with people has been the subject of many self-help books over the years, and is the topic of this programme.

Neil: Well, you and I must have great rapport, Georgina, because that leads perfectly into my quiz question. In 1936, American writer Dale Carnegie wrote a famous self-help book on building rapport. It sold over [STRIKE]30[/STRIKE] thirty million copies, making it one of the best-selling books of all time – but what was it called? Is it:

a) How to Get Rich Quick.
b) How to Stop Worrying and Make Friends.
or c) How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Georgina: Um, I think I know this, Neil. I’m going to say, c) How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Neil: OK, Georgina, we’ll find out if that’s right at the end of the programme.

Georgina: When it comes to getting on with people, psychologist Emily Alison has a few ideas. She’s built a career working with the police as they build rapport with criminal suspects.

Neil: Emily is the author of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a new book: ‘Rapport: the four ways to read people’, and she told BBC Radio 4 programme ‘All In The Mind’ it isn’t easy to get along with everyone:

Emily Alison: I often describe rapport-building in relationships [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] as, er, like walking a tightrope because you really do need to maintain that balance of being objective, treating people with compassion, but that doesn’t mean I’m sympathetic, I’m collusive – it’s that balance between judgement and avoidance.

Georgina: Emily describes rapport building as like walking a tightrope, an idiom to describe being in a difficult situation which requires carefully considering what to do.

Neil: Building rapport with terrorists or violent criminals isn’t easy. Emily doesn’t sympathise with what they have done, but she tries to remain objective - to base her judgement on the facts, not personal feelings.

Georgina: In her book, Emily identifies four main communication styles which she names after animals. The best at building rapport is the friendly and cooperative monkey.

Neil: [STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] And there’s a pair of opposites: the bossy lion, who wants to take charge and control things, and the more passive mouse.

Georgina: Here’s Emily talking to BBC Radio Four’s ‘All In The Mind’ about the fourth animal, the T-Rex. Try to listen out for the communication style of this personality:

Emily Alison: You’ve got the T-Rex, which is conflict, so this is argument, whether you’re approaching it from a positive position where you can be direct, frank, about your message, or you approach that in a negative way by being attacking, judgemental, argumentative, sarcastic - [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] that ... that actually breeds the same behaviour back. So anyone who has teenagers will 100% recognise that (laugh). If you meet sarcasm with sarcasm, it’s only gonna go one way.

Neil: All four communication styles have good and bad points. On the positive side, T-Rex type people are frank – they express themselves in an open, honest way.

Georgina: But T-Rex types can also be sarcastic - say the opposite of what they really mean, in order to hurt someone’s feelings or criticise them in a funny way.

Neil: Yes, ‘sarcasm’ is a strange thing, like saying, “Oh, I really like your haircut”, when in fact you don’t!

Georgina: Yes. There’s an English saying that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, but I think British people can be quite sarcastic at times.

Neil: Well, I can’t image you’d make many friends being rude to people. Maybe they should read Dale Carnegie’s self-help book.

Georgina: Ah yes, your quiz question, Neil. Was my answer right?

Neil: In my quiz question I asked Georgina for the title of Dale Carnegie’s best-selling self-help book about building rapport. What did you say?

Georgina: I said the book is called no comma here c) How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Neil: Which is ... the correct answer! And I guess you’ve read it, Georgina, because you have lots of friends.

Georgina: I hope you’re not being sarcastic, Neil!

Neil: Absolutely not! I’m not a sarcastic T-Rex type, more of a friendly monkey!

Georgina: OK, well, let’s stay friends and recap the vocabulary from this programme, starting with ‘rapport’ - a good feeling between two people based on understanding and communication.

Neil: If you ‘get on with someone’, you like and enjoy a friendly relationship with them.

Georgina: ‘Walking a tightrope’ means to be in a difficult situation which requires careful consideration of what to do.

Neil: ‘To be objective’ is to base your actions on facts rather than personal feelings.

Georgina: When ‘building rapport with someone’, it’s good to be frank – to express yourself in an open, honest way.

Neil: But not ‘sarcastic’ – to say the opposite of what you really mean, in order to hurt someone’s feelings or criticise them in a humorous way.

Georgina: Well, Neil, if we run over six minutes we’ll break our rapport with the Six-Minute English producer, so that’s all for this programme! Join us again soon for more trending topics and useful vocabulary.

Neil: And remember to download the BBC Learning English app and stay friends by following us on social media. Bye for now!

Georgina: Bye!

[Narrator: Six-Minute English, from the BBC]

See my changes above. You misheard only a couple of things. Note that when transcribing speech, we write numbers out in full (as words). Put the name of the speaker at the start of a line, then a colon, then what they said. Don't put the names on a separate line. Use correct capitalisation for book titles.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The title is actually "6-Minute English". It's in the top right-hand corner of the opening screen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The title is actually "6-Minute English". It's in the top right-hand corner of the opening screen.

Are you referring to my statement that numbers should be written out in full? I stick to that - it's one of the main rules of transcription, especially as sometimes the transcription is used to create an automated voiceover.

Status
Not open for further replies.