Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What is the word order in such sentences as mine "The guys from the band Boyzone" or "The guys from Boyzone the band"?
I haven't mentioned them before should I still use "the" before "the guys"?

"Most of all I admired the guys from the band Boyzone."

Source: It is the fifteenth question on this page: http://iteslj.org/questions/celebrities.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the word order in such sentences as mine "The guys from the band Boyzone" or "The guys from Boyzone the band"?
I haven't mentioned them before should I still use "the" before "the guys"?

"Most of all I admired the guys from the band Boyzone."

Source: It is the fifteenth question on this page: http://iteslj.org/questions/celebrities.html
The first is more natural. The second needs a comma.

If you mean all the male band members, we usually say "in." If you only mean some of them, we usually say "from."

You need "If" before "I haven't" and a comma after "before": "IF I haven't mentioned them before, should I . . . ."

If you haven't mentioned them before, you can say "the band" or "a band." If you use "the," it means you assume we already know or should know they exist.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The first is more natural. The second needs a comma.

If you mean all the male band members, we usually say "in." If you only mean some of them, we usually say "from."

You need "If" before "I haven't" and a comma after "before": "IF I haven't mentioned them before, should I . . . ."

If you haven't mentioned them before, you can say "the band" or "a band." If you use "the," it means you assume we already know or should know they exist.

But if I need to mention them for the first time, can I use "guys from" without the definite article at all?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But if I need to mention them for the first time, can I use "guys from" without the definite article at all?
If you only mean SOME of the guys, then it should not have an article: Guys in the band ...

If you mean ALL of the guys, then it needs one. The guys in the band ...

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you only mean SOME of the guys, then it should not have an article: Guys in the band ...

If you mean ALL of the guys, then it needs one. The guys in the band ...

That's a very interesting difference. Thank you!

You said if I am talking about some of them then you usually use "from" not "in", but you used "in" in post 4 when talking about some of them. Or do I misunderstand something?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rachel, I have removed the asterisks and your explanation for them. There is no need to italicise band names.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rachel, I have removed the asterisks and your explanation for them. There is no need to italicise band names.
Right. We use italics for titles of large works: books, magazines, plays, movies, and music albums.

But since you don't have italics, don't use them for anything. An asterisk doesn't help.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Right. We use italics for titles of large works: books, magazines, plays, movies, and music albums.

But since you don't have italics, don't use them for anything. An asterisk doesn't help.

OK. Sorry, but I don't understand your explanation. :-?. I asked about it in post 5..

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You said if I am talking about some of them then you usually use "from" not "in", but you used "in" in post 4 when talking about some of them. Or do I misunderstand something?
I'm being confusing. Sorry. I think I'll delete my first post.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'm being confusing. Sorry.

In my first post, I just meant that when you use FROM in that context, it might mean that there are other band members you're not discussing. But not necessarily. That's why I said "usually." If you mean the entire band, it would be a bit more natural to use IN.

In my second post, I answered a different question, about the problem of whether to use A or THE.

- "I love A band called Boyzone" means the same thing as "I love THE band called Boyzone."

- "Boyzone is THE band I love" means Boyzone is your favorite band.

- "Boyzone is A band I love" means it's one of several that you love.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think Boyzone could be the band to some people and a band to others. It depends on how important people think they are.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm being confusing. Sorry.

In my first post, I just meant that when you use FROM in that context, it might mean that there are other band members you're not discussing. But not necessarily. That's why I said "usually." If you mean the entire band, it would be a bit more natural to use IN.

In my second post, I answered a different question, about the problem of whether to use A or THE.

- "I love A band called Boyzone" means the same thing as "I love THE band called Boyzone."

- "Boyzone is THE band I love" means Boyzone is your favorite band.

- "Boyzone is A band I love" means it's one of several that you love.

Thank you very much for explaining again. So "I liked guys from Boyzone means SOME of the guys and "from" means there are other ones. And no article as you explained earlier because I am talking about some of them.
But "I liked the guys in Boyzone" means all of them because of "the" and "in" and "from" wouldn't work because I am talking about each of them, not some of them in the band whom I liked.

Could you tell me if I understand correctly?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much for explaining again. So "I liked guys from Boyzone means SOME of the guys and "from" means there are other ones.

Again, I said "usually." There is no rule.

And no article as you explained earlier because I am talking about some of them.

Sometimes articles are good. It depends on the context.

But "I like[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] the guys in Boyzone" means all of them because of "the" and "in", and "from" wouldn't work because I am talking about all of them, not some of them in the band whom I liked.

Yes, usually.

Could you tell me if I understand correctly?
Probably!

Status
Not open for further replies.