Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
Hello Everyone

I just wanted some help making sure I don't make mistakes, it can be hard to spot them after re-writing a lot, and it's also hard to make sure i'm covering every expected topic, PhD is in Penn state, with this prompt

"Statement of Purpose - (no more than one page, single spaced, in 11 pt. font or larger) that describes your attitude and approach toward pursuing a graduate degree. This document should illustrate why you will succeed in graduate school, show us a sample of your writing, and convey any qualities not captured in the remainder of the application"

Submision deadline is december 2, 1 page limit,
Thanks for all the help in advance

Here is my Statement

Statement of purpose

I was born in the industrial port town of ****, where the river meets the sea. When I was a young student, I went on a school trip to a fertilizer factory, which I found fascinating. That was a milestone for me, because previously I had wanted to become a mathematician, but after that school trip, I decided to become a chemical engineer, focusing my passions in the control engineering side. Thus, I chose chemical engineering for my PhD degree, because I am interested in research to help underdeveloped countries like my own improve production efficiency and peoples lives. I picked Penn State for this because it is a top American university for chemical engineering and has an excellent reputation for research. I hope to use my previous experience, having published an article in an International chemical engineering journal, presented in CHISA 20**, and field experience designing of control loops, to succeed in this task of generating useful research.

My ideals shaped my commitment, but I owe my motivation to some important figures. Firstly, my Applied thermodynamics professor, Dr. Smith, because until that point I didn´t saw myself as a chemical engineer, only through her firm but detailed method of applying existing thermodynamic concepts I gained the necessary knowledge to continue my path, she gave me the motivation needed to apply myself, and learn everything I need for this PhD. Secondly, my process control teacher Dr. Anderson was decisive for me, as he taught me that I did not have to renounce math, and that chemical engineering could complement math in my life, this is why I choose him as my thesis advisor, where he taught me advanced linear algebra, bifurcation analysis, numerical methods, feedback linearization, and IMC tuning, very useful tools I can use in my research.

As part of my thesis, I published an article in the Journal Chemical Engineering transactions, with a presentation at the **rd International Congress of Chemical and Process Engineering in Prague. Mainly, the article used system dynamics, and bifurcation theory to find stable areas of the IMC tuned PID parameter space, of a substrate inhibited bioreactor, comparing it to the same system but feedback linearized, finding heuristics for future control, and managing uncertainty of controller parameters. An insightful and complex method was used to find practical rules. For instance, an upper limit was found in the set point of about 90% of substrate inflow. This is how I began to gain hands on experience in research, where I began polishing my skills, which I hope to continue in my PhD.

Heuristics were also useful in my next work, where I helped in a pilot plant design with the Bioprocess research team, to turn waste hydrochloric acid and urine into fertilizer, sponsored by Acesco, a metal deck company, and Maken, a portable bathroom company. I designed controller loops units, meeting operational targets. the practical application of my knowledge was arduous, given that until that point my work was purely theoretical. Thus, I stabilized the principal units, around the operational equilibrium points, which signified the possibility of escalating the control of the plant to a higher scale. Additionally, the stabilization time was short enough, that it made it worthwhile to examine economically the process control of the future plant in more detail. This expanded my practical experience vastly for future use.

Both those exciting projects have motivated me to continue my research into nonlinear control applied to the chemical industry, which I would like to conduct at Penn State with my experience and dedication, I will need little support to start new research work, but can achieve much more with significant support. In brief, the reason I am looking to do a PhD in chemical engineering is to establish my career in this industry. Additionally, I have useful research experience (see article published in the journal Chemical Engineering transactions, with speaker position in the 20** CHISA conference, both of which required significant effort, given the level of difficulty of the subject matter) Which will help me to succeed in contributing useful research in my graduate degree.Statement of purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello everyone,
I just wanted some help [STRIKE] making [/STRIKE] to make sure I don't [STRIKE] make [/STRIKE] have mistakes in my letter as it can be hard to spot them after re-writing the text several times. [STRIKE] a lot, and [/STRIKE] It's also hard to make sure I'm covering every expected topic. The PhD is in Penn State, with this prompt.

"Statement of Purpose - (no more than one page, single spaced, in 11 pt. font or larger) that describes your attitude and approach toward pursuing a graduate degree. This document should illustrate why you will succeed in graduate school, show us a sample of your writing, and convey any qualities not captured in the remainder of the application"

Submission deadline is December 2. 1 page limit.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

Here is my statement

Statement of Purpose

[STRIKE] I was born in the industrial port town of ****, where the river meets the sea. [/STRIKE] When I was a young student, I went on a school trip to a fertilizer factory, which I found fascinating,[STRIKE] That was a milestone for me, because previously I had wanted to become a mathematician, but [/STRIKE] and after which [STRIKE] that school trip, [/STRIKE] I decided to become a chemical engineer. [STRIKE] , focusing my passions in the control engineering side. Thus,[/STRIKE]

I have chosen chemical engineering for my PhD degree because I am interested in research to help underdeveloped countries like my own improve production efficiency and people’s lives. I picked Penn State for this because it is a [STRIKE] top [/STRIKE] prestigious American university, renowned for its chemical engineering [STRIKE] and has an excellent reputation for [/STRIKE] research. I hope to use my previous experience, having published an article in an international chemical engineering journal, presented in CHISA 20**, and field experience designing of control loops, to succeed in this task of generating useful research.

[STRIKE] My ideals shaped my commitment, but [/STRIKE] I owe my motivation to some important figures. Firstly, my applied thermodynamics professor, Dr. Smith, because [STRIKE] until that point I didn´t saw myself as a chemical engineer, only [/STRIKE] through her firm but detailed method of applying existing thermodynamic concepts, I gained the necessary knowledge to [STRIKE] continue my path, she gave me the motivation needed to [/STRIKE] apply myself, and learn [STRIKE] everything [/STRIKE] the critical concepts I need for this PhD. Secondly, my process control teacher Dr. Anderson was decisive for me, as he taught me that [STRIKE] I did not have to renounce math, and that [/STRIKE] chemical engineering could complement math in my life, [STRIKE] this [/STRIKE] which is why I chose him as my thesis advisor. [STRIKE] where [/STRIKE] He has taught me advanced linear algebra, bifurcation analysis, numerical methods, feedback linearization, and IMC tuningvery useful tools I can use in my research.

As part of my thesis, …
What thesis are you talking about?
Also, you say that you should write no more than one page. Therefore, you need to cut out some text. Start with the above, and post a revised version below.

Last edited by a moderator:

carl_gauss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
What thesis are you talking about?
Also, you say that you should write no more than one page. Therefore, you need to cut out some text. Start with the above, and post a revised version below.

Here is my revised version, sorry to answer so late, i actually broke my foot in real life

I went on a life-changing middle school trip to a fertilizer factory, before that I wanted to become a mathematician, but after that journey, I chose chemical engineering. I picked this for my Ph.D. because I am interested in research to improve production efficiency and people’s lives in underdeveloped countries, this is my research objective. I picked Iowa state university because it is a prestigious American university renowned for its research in chemical engineering. I hope to use my experience, having published research in an international journal, a presentation in CHISA, and field design experience, to succeed in this Ph.D. and then continue my career path as a professional researcher.

My ideals shaped me, but I had two lifelong important mentors. My Applied thermodynamics professor, Dr. Vargas, before meeting her I didn´t see myself as a chemical engineer, I got the motivation needed to learn the critical concepts required for this Ph.D. through her guidance and teaching of thermodynamic concepts. Secondly, my process control teacher Dr. Restrepo, he taught me to complement math and engineering, which is why I chose him as thesis advisor, where he taught me feedback linearization, and IMC tuning, numerical methods and advanced design techniques, very useful tools I can use in my research.

From my thesis I published an article in the Journal “Chemical Engineering transactions”, presenting it at the 23rd Congress of CHISA in Prague. The article used dynamics, and bifurcation theory to find stable areas of the IMC tuned PID parameter space, of a substrate inhibited bioreactor, additionally, doing the same analysis but with an IMC-PID controlled feedback linearization of the same system and comparing both, finding heuristics for future control, and managing the uncertainty of controller parameters. A complex method was used to find practical rules, for instance, an upper limit was found in the set point of about 90% of substrate inflow. I gained hands-on experience in research, polishing my skills for future use and development in my Ph.D.

My next work was helping the Bioprocess research team design a pilot plant to turn waste hydrochloric acid and urine into fertilizers. I designed all units, and control loops. Meeting operation requirements. I stabilized the principal units, around the operational equilibrium points, signifying the possibility of escalating the plant and control. the stabilization time was short enough, that it made it worthwhile to examine economically the process control of the future plant. This expanded my practical experience for future use.

Those exciting projects motivated me to continue my research into industrial design and control in this Ph.D. With my experience and dedication, I can easily start new research work but can achieve much more with significant support. In brief, the reason I am looking to do a Ph.D. in chemical engineering is to establish my career in this industry. Additionally, I have useful research experience, with publications and conferences. Which will help me to succeed in contributing useful research in my graduate degree.

Additionally i was looking to also use this same letter for Iowa state university, deadline november 28, with the following prompt

[FONT=&quot]Please submit a statement of up to 500 words that explains your goals and interests related to this graduate program.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Primarily, explain:

• your purpose for starting or continuing graduate study
  • why you want to study at Iowa State University
  • your professional plans, your career goals, and your research interests
  • any experience that is particularly applicable to the program for which you're applying
Secondarily, elaborate on:

• any irregularities or special circumstances applicable to your application
  • your special abilities, awards, achievements, scholarly publications, and professional history as it relates to the program of interest
  • any prior research information, or contact with specific Iowa State program faculty
Can you double check for me that this meets these requirements? I think it does, I might be wrong in that
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.