Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I has been wondering why kids can learn language so fast?
I found the reason during my Aupair job in the US. I took care of two kids (age 2 and 3) for a year. What my mainly responsibililties was to teach them Chinese.
I didn’t use any book or other stuff. What I mostly did everyday was to talk to them in Chinese, to repeat the same words that I want them to remember or understand, to guide them to say it out lound, and correct them right a way. In this way, kids might subconsciously remember how to use the word and use it.

I have been learning English for many years since I was a kid. And I have been lived in the US for a year. But my oral skill is still sucks? Every time when I want to express myself, I try to recall how the way that the native speaker say. But It is hard, I just don’t remember. Even I try to say it, I don’t know if my expression makes sense to others.
So I was wondering to build a whatsapp group that have a maximum of 10 English learners. When they want to express something in english but they don’t know if it is correct, they can send it to the group. Then the native speaker can help correct it.
Eg. I want a coffee and I am going to take it home.
But native speaker will probably say in other way. Then they can help correct it.

If any english learner and English native speaker or teacher are interested in this group maybe , please let me know.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When they want to express something in English but they don’t know if it is correct, they can send it to the group. Then the native speaker can help correct it.
Isn't that one of the things we do here?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I has have been wondering why kids can learn languages so fast.

I found the reason during my time as an Aupair au pair job in the US. I took care of two kids (age 2 and 3) for a year. [STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] My mainly main responsibililties responsibility was to teach them Chinese.

I didn’t use any books or other stuff. What I mostly did everyday every day was to talk to them in Chinese, to repeat the same words that I wanted them to remember or understand, to guide encourage them to say it them out lound loud, and correct them right a way away.

In this way, I hoped that the kids might subconsciously remember how to use the words and use it them.

I have been learning English for many years since I was a kid and I have been lived in the US for a year but my oral skill ability is still sucks. Every time when I want to express myself, I try to recall how the way that the native speakers say it but It is hard; I just don’t remember.

Even when I try to say it speak English, I don’t know if my expression it makes sense to others.

So I was wondering to thinking about building a WhatsApp group that have has a maximum of 10 English learners. When they want to express something in English but they don’t know if it is correct, they can send it to the group . Then the and a native speaker can help correct it.

Eg. I want a coffee and I am going to take it home.

But A native speaker will would probably say in another way . Then so they can help correct it.

If any English learners, and English native speakers or teachers are interested in this group, maybe , please let me know

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above.

I think you might struggle to attract native speakers to a WhatsApp group. It would involve revealing their mobile number, and unless they want to mute the group while they're at their proper (paid) job, their phone would be pinging with messages probably multiple times a day. That's why a website like this works so well. We log in when we have enough time to deal with at least a few threads properly.

Why don't you just direct any English learners you come across to this forum?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know about WhatsApp, but if we were on Messenger together we could send each other voice messages.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know about WhatsApp, but if we were on Messenger together we could send each other voice messages.

WhatsApp supports voice messages too. However, that's not the point!

Saraj Zhou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Because whatsapp can send voice message.
But waht you said is totally true. The continuous message could bother others a lot.
Maybe I should tried write down all the thing I want to say and post it in this forum.
Last but not the least, thank you for your correction.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because WhatsApp can send voice messages.

That's not a sentence.

But what you said is totally true. The continuous messages could bother others a lot.
Maybe I should tried write down everything I want to say and post on this forum.

Last but not the least, thank you for your corrections.

OK

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Forums are not great places to recruit people for something that is not public. People on forums tend to prefer to communicate on forums.

Pablito

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, Im new here and i focus on learning English, and I would be interested in such group. Dont know why I cant send a private message to You Saraj, maybe because of i have just registered... Let me know if you are interested.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Nobody is saying don't try. However, forums, where people answer publicly and enjoy that are not the best recruitment grounds.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I'm new here, and I focus on learning English, and I would be interested in such a group. I don't know why I can't send a private message to you, Saraj. Maybe it's because of I have just registered. Let me know if you are interested.

Pablito, please note my corrections above. You need to locate the apostrophe on your keyboard and use it appropriately. Remember to capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun) every time you write/type it.

You should be able to use the private message facility after you have made ten public posts.

Pablito

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Pablito, please note my corrections above. You need to locate the apostrophe on your keyboard and use it appropriately. Remember to capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun) every time you write/type it.

You should be able to use the private message facility after you have made ten public posts.
Thank you for the correction and sorry for my sloppyness. I promise to pay more attention to this.

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think that's not a bad idea.

Saraj could use this WhatsApp chat to ask for help with sentence building (stuff that needs immediate attention), and simultaneously use the forum to ask for help with more complicated/time-consuming questions, for example, that are not so time-sensitive.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If Saraj can staff it to respond in real time. That has always been the problem of such schemes unless people are paying for them. People volunteer, as in this forum, but they come in when they want. When they go on holiday, they go on holiday. Getting a team of 24/7 volunteers on Whatsapp is a different challenge unless you're paying for the service. The basic imbalance in the number of requests and speakers has been there since the first days of language exchanges. Stuff that needs immediate attention requires a paid service.

Status
Not open for further replies.