Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I happened to find a video of WWE Monday Night Raw on Dailymotion [Link], and I had difficulty identifying what Edge, the WWE superstar, said at 09:18.

"A feeling of disappointment. A feeling of close but _______. A feeling of depression."

Could you kindly help me with that? Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... but no cigar

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
He says "No cigar." It's a stock phrase with many North Americans: Close, but no cigar. It means that despite strenuous effort and near success, the result was failure.

For those who don't wish to listen to a great mess of moronic twaddle, start about half-way through. It occurs shortly after Sean Michaels stops talking and Edge begins his response.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Jonathan told us, it's at about 09:18.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
He says "No cigar." It's a stock phrase with many North Americans: Close, but no cigar. It means that despite strenuous effort and near success, the result was failure.

The definition here is informative. I'll have it in my notebook.

For those who don't wish to listen to a great mess of moronic twaddle, start about half-way through. It occurs shortly after Sean Michaels stops talking and Edge begins his response.

Point taken! Sorry that it annoyed you. But I found WWE is one of the sources that help me learn the idioms that are actually used in conversation. :lol:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You light a cigar when you have succeeded to celebrate, which is the logic behind the idiom.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The definition here is informative. I'll have it in my notebook.

Point taken! Sorry that it annoyed you. But I found WWE is one of the sources that help me learn the idioms that are actually used in conversation. :lol:

As someone who walks with a stick and has bad back trouble, WWE is a truly terrifying source of English idioms. All I can think of is them hobbling around, if they're lucky, in their fifties. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.