Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm looking for a few technical terms, possibly construction and geoengineering jargon, I could use in an excavation report or some other official document.

I didn't want to spam the Ask a Teacher forum with multiple threads at once. I hope you don't mind me asking for more than one word per thread because the terms I'm looking for are related and in the same category, but in case you do, please split it into separate threads.
1) What do you call the process of injecting a water-cement, liquid solution underground that is supposed to mix with the soil to create a more stable basis for building? I found jet grouting on the internet, but I'm not sure if it's the right term.

2) What do you call the process of exerting mechanical pressure to make the soil denser and less loose for better supporting the building above? I think it might be soil pressing/compressing/condensing/beating, or something similar.

3) If a hole or trench is no longer needed because the installation is already in place, or it was dug/drilled in the wrong place, and we put the soil back into the hole/trench, do we fill the hole/plop it/plug it/cover it? They all sound too vanilla for me and I think there might be something more official/technical sounding that is used in the industry.

4) Is there a word for referring to the volume of soil that has been extracted from the ground and needs to be transported and piled up elsewhere? We have a word for it in Polish that roughly translates to yield, and it's also used in mining for referring to how much ore has been mined.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
For #2, use "compaction".
For #3, use "refill".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. injection grouting

2. compaction

3. backfilling

4. The volume of earth excavated is called cut and that deposited is called fill. The material handling from one site to another is called import and export of earth.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For #2, use "compaction".
For #3, use "refill".

We use "backfill" rather than "refill" in AmE. As to question #1, I've seen "concrete pumping" but that may be too general for the OP-s purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.