rare uses of p.continuous

hello to everyone.
    I'm struggling now with some advanced English grammar... Have you ever encountered such expressions as :"I'm minding", "I'm understanding", "I'm liking"? In what contexts it could be used? Is it correct at all?

Re: rare uses of p.continuous

Hi and welcome, ma_ga,
    No, I haven't. But I've often heard
    What are you seeing/ hearing?
    Rgs

(From L&S)
    Usually state verbs cannot be used with the progressive aspect, especially verbs of perceiving (feel, hear, smell), verbs referring to a state of mind (love, believe, hate, remember), or verbs referring to a state of being (concern, belong to, possess).

Having said that, there are exceptions. Most of these happen when the verb refers to an active form of behaviour

Examples:
    She was listening to the news when I phoned.
    Why are you looking at me like that?

To see the difference between a verb of state and the same verb as a verb of activity, consider:

She was feeling in her little pocket for a handkerchief [activity]
    The water felt wonderful on her skin [state]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by ma_ga View Post
    hello to everyone.
    I'm struggling now with some advanced English grammar... Have you ever encountered such expressions as :"I'm minding", "I'm understanding", "I'm liking"? In what contexts it could be used? Is it correct at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi and welcome, ma_ga,
    No, I haven't. But I've often heard
    What are you seeing/ hearing?
    Rgs
    I'm not sure why Humble hasn't; they're just normal present continuous, aren't they (Maybe not, come to think of it - they all refer to states of mind, so maybe suitable contexts are not as common as I at first thought). But how about these:

What are you doing?
    I'm minding my own business.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly [addressed to someone who has tried to make a point in several different ways, or at length], but as I see it you're suggesting that ...

I didn't like the lessons at all at first, but I'm liking them more and more now.

A collocation that I'm hearing more and more recently is this:

I like what I'm hearing

(a statement of general encouragement: "go on talking, you're on the right lines")

b

Never ever, Bob.
    I dare say they are not normal.
    I am understanding you sounds horrible to me. You either understand or not, it's a fact, not a process. Would it be any different or less impressive if you said If I understand you correctly...?
    But I do believe you - some native speakers may say just anything, they have the right to twist their language in whatever way they will.
    As to see, hear and love IMHO their usage in the Progressive denotes a semantic shift.
    Rgs