Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is it wrong to start my sentence with "in my country" "in my city" without adding "there"?

"In my country the most interesting place is an old town by the sea. In this place are so many old buildings from different epochs. You can see them in one day. You can walk there all day because the town isn't small. People there see interesting monuments and houses."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it wrong to start my sentence with "in my country" "in my city" without adding "there"?

"In my country the most interesting place is an old town by the sea. In this place there are many old buildings from different epochs. You can see them all in one day. You can walk there all day because the town isn't small.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

People there see interesting monuments and houses."

I'm not sure which sentence your question refers to.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm not sure which sentence your question refers to.

I am talking about these sentences:
"In my country the most interesting place is an old town by the sea. In this place are so many old buildings from different epochs. " You added "there" to the second sentence but not to the first. Why is it sometimes necessary and sometimes not?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unfortunately, nothing I've been able to think of so far answers your "why" question.
:-(

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
I am talking about these sentences:
"In my country the most interesting place is an old town by the sea. In this place are so many old buildings from different epochs. " You added "there" to the second sentence but not to the first. Why is it sometimes necessary and sometimes not?

Your two sentences are not alike. Let's simplify the two constructions:

1. This place is [an old town].
2. In this place there are/is [many old buildings].

Hopefully it’s now obvious why these are different, and why “there” is only used in one. In the first sentence, you are describing the place. In the second, you are telling us what it contains. Here, "there is ..." has the meaning "in that place exists ...".

Whether you start the sentence with "In my country" or similar is a red herring.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about this place has?

Status