Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Say it slowly

    1.) How can you show that some words are being said slowly or DRAWN OUT as though the typeface were extended?
    2.) Is there a way of showing that words are being said (pausing between each word) very deliberately?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: Say it slowly

    Some authors do the first by increasing the vowels - Hoooowl. Wheeeere?

    The second could be done by inserting an en dash - in - the - text.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: Say it slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Some authors do the first by increasing the vowels - Hoooowl. Wheeeere?

    The second could be done by inserting an en dash - in - the - text.
    Another device is just to use s p a c e s . But I've rarely seen this used. I think George Bernard Shaw used it though.

    b

  3. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #4

    Re: Say it slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by scripto View Post
    2.) Is there a way of showing that words are being said (pausing between each word) very deliberately?

    I've seen people use capitalization and periods (full stops) to indicate that type of speech:

    Queen is the Greatest. Band. Ever.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #5

    Re: Say it slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by scripto View Post
    1.) How can you show that some words are being said slowly or DRAWN OUT as though the typeface were extended?
    2.) Is there a way of showing that words are being said (pausing between each word) very deliberately?
    People also use underscores to_do_that.
    Others use ellipses to...do...that.

Similar Threads

  1. playing around with food?
    By bosunyum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2006, 14:58
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2006, 17:15
  3. Slow and slowly as adverb
    By JunieNg in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 09:12
  4. slowly
    By azz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2005, 23:17
  5. image
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-May-2004, 16:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •